Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Hey,

Has been a while since I have posted on this forum.

Just a quick question. I have been reading reviews of the new Crucial M225 128GB SSD. The price of this drive is quite a lot, yet the 64GB version is quite affordable.

My knowledge of NAND flash chips is that they are slow on their own but when placed in parallel, like in SSD's they are very quick. Based on this i assume the 64GB version will be slower than the 128GB version as there are less flash chips in parallel?

cheers

sub mesa

Distinguished
Normally there is a relation between the size (number of flash chips) and the speed. But it appears larger disks don't get more parallel channels; the 160GB Intel X25-M is still 8-channels wide, like the 80GB version. So the performance of these versions will be the same and it might be better to buy two of them in RAID0 for example.

But generally, the controller has all the potential to utilize the additional flash chips and performance of the SSD could scale with its capacity or the number of flash chips used.

Generally, the speed is directly linked to the controller used, and graphs like this show this well:

19507.png

19508.png

Yours would be Indilinx MLC. So if you want the fastest SSD, go Intel. But this Crucial M225 is certainly no bad SSD.