Sign in with
Your question

insufficient privileges

Last response: in Windows XP
October 22, 2010 4:01:45 PM

Hello, I have Windows X and want to install Co-rel Word-perfect 10 and it won't let me with this message: "You have insufficient privileges...", etc. Carmen
October 22, 2010 4:14:27 PM

blueskies24 said:
Hello, I have Windows X and want to install Co-rel Word-perfect 10 and it won't let me with this message: "You have insufficient privileges...", etc. Carmen

The exact message should read: "You do not have administrator privileges on this machine. Setup cannot continue." I have Windows XP and trying to install Corel Wordperfect 10. Sorry for the confusion.
m
l
a b 8 Security
October 22, 2010 6:36:05 PM

Your user account needs administrator rights to install the program.
m
l
Related resources
October 22, 2010 9:48:19 PM

Not sure if this is a repeat, but I'll send it again.

I am the only one who has used this comuter. Me and my wife are the only users. How do I reset the administrators so that it will clear up this problem.

If I open up using my wife's account as the user, I don't get the error message saying "You don't have administrative privileges on this machine. Set up cannot continue." But if I do open up using my account, I do get the error message. I have used Microsoft security essentials to scan for malware and it says the computer is ok.

m
l
a b 8 Security
October 23, 2010 1:22:22 AM

That means her account has administrator rights, but yours doesn't.

Log on as her. Go to the control panel-->user accounts-->click on your user account, and change it from limited to administrator rights.
m
l
November 2, 2010 1:54:26 AM

That solved the problem! For those who are trying to install Corel Wordperfect, that message will come up because it is attempting to load a registration reporting program that Microsoft Essentials identifies as malware and asks if you want to remove it, obviously you say yes, but then Corel Wordperfect won't let you use the program and comes up with that message "You don't have administrator rights.."
What I did was allowed the software to be loaded since it was simply a registration reporting program and it loaded Core Wordperfect ok. Then after it loaded, I ran Microsoft Essentials and it quarantined the registration reporting progam and I could then use Corel Wordperfect and never got the message again.

Thanks for the great work on this!
m
l
a b 8 Security
November 2, 2010 3:05:16 AM

Good to hear,
thanks for the update :) 
m
l
!