Cannot get my DVD/CD to write in windows xp

tgallo

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
I have Windows XP. when I insert DVD/CD it does not give me the Auto Play popup menu. i can read the DVD/CD and play the movie/music from the exploer but cannot write to it. it does not accept a blank disk. I have this problem with both my Cd and DVD.

Ted

Unless you've installed a 3rd party software, it won't burn a DVD. XP doesn't have DVD burning support by default. It should be able to burn a CD though.

Put a blank CD in the drive, and double click on the icon in My Computer. You should be able to drag and drop files to it. Then you can click the link to burn the files to disc. At what point are you having trouble? Do you get some sort of error?

tgallo

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

REPLY:
THIS IS FRIENDS PC. IF I PUT IN DISK, EITHER DVD/CD, AND CLICK ON THAT DRIVE IT GIVES ME THE MESSAGE TO INPUT A DISK. IF I DRAG AND DROP FILE ON IT THE MESSAGE IS THIS DISK IS WRITE PROTECTED AS A READ ONLY DISK. IT USED TO WORK FINE UNTIL IT BEGAN RUNNING REAL SLOW HE WENT ON THE INTERNET AND APID SOMEBODY TO FIX THAT PROBLEM. SAYING HE HAD DOWNLOADED A VIRUS. WHEN HE WAS FINISHED THE NEXT DAY IT WOULD NOT RECOGNISE A PASSWWORD AT BOOT. I FIXED THAT BUT WHEN I TRIED TO WRITE TO A DISK I RECEIVED THESE MESSAGES.

THANK YOU

TED

tgallo

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010

If I try to copy a file to the CD drive it tells me, ‘Cannot copy files; Files on this CD-ROM drive are read only. You cannot copy or move files over this CD-ROM drive.’ Insert a writable disc to continue.

If I put a disc in the DVD drive that has been written to it shows them as copied, although if I try to write them to the disk it tells me; ‘There is no disc in the drive’, but it is reading the file that are on the disc. It also reads the files on the CD.

There were 2 (TWO) CD drive in this PC. I removed 1 (one) and added a DVD. I was thinking when it found the new hardware it would solve this probvlem, at lease with the new drive, to no avail!

I tried what was suggested above also to no avail.

thanks again
Ted