Sign in with
Your question

e8400 scoring 4.6 in vista

Last response: in CPUs
August 6, 2008 6:22:08 AM

I recently built a new system. Somehow my e8400 is getting a 4.6 score in the windows experience index. It is also getting a 1050 in the cpu component of 3dmark06, which is getting much lower scores overall than it should. By comparison, my friends e6850? 2.6GHz conroe got a 5.5 in vista and a 2400 in 3dmark06 without any sort of OC'ing. I have all power saving / speedstepping options turned off. I'm running cpuz and seeing that the multiplier is indeed 9. I have a c0 stepping processor, with the stock cooler, because I bent the pins on my custom one screwing around. My bios and hwmonitor are reading cpu temps between 80c and 100c. I have a GA-X48-DS4. Any help as to whether I might have a bad cpu or bad motherboard would be helpful. I've only got about two weeks left to swap things out with newegg.

More about : e8400 scoring vista

August 6, 2008 6:28:07 AM

It's probably thermal throttling. Redo the heatsink.
August 6, 2008 6:31:46 AM

+1
reapply paste and make sure pins click! Afterwards turn on the power saving features, it's there for a purpose.
Related resources
August 6, 2008 2:35:28 PM

Or... get a 3rd party HS with a black plate. :D 
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 6, 2008 2:58:34 PM

Check out your cpu temperatures and the cpu voltage.If the temperature is high just reapply the thermal paste and check that the cooler is right and tight.
August 6, 2008 3:16:49 PM

My laptop's T8100 running at 2.1 Ghz scores 4.9. Something obviously ain't right.
a c 332 à CPUs
August 6, 2008 3:41:22 PM

I agree that the CPU is throttling itself because of the high temperatures.
Push pin coolers can be tricky to install.
A bad installation can lead to higher temperatures, and even cpu throttling.
With the pc powered down, gently rock the cooler to see if it is on solid, or if it wobbles a bit.
Push pin coolers are best installed while the motherboard is outside of the case.
You need to be able to look at the back of the board to verify that
all 4 pins are completely through and locked.
Play with the pins on the cooler first, so you can see exactly how they work.
Read the instructions that came with your retail cpu.
When pushing down on the pins, do a diagonal pair first.
If you don't, it is hard to get the last pin in.
Don't forget to clean the parts and reapply fresh thermal compound every time.
Don't try to reuse the TIM.
Rubbing alcohol is OK as a cleaner.
I use a paper coffee filter to clean with because it is lint free.
Any name brand TIM should be OK(as-5, Mx-2, etc.)
When applying the TIM, don't use too much, because it can act as an insulator.
Don't apply too little, either, because it won't spread and fill the microscopic
imperfections in the surfaces. A dollop about the size of a grain of rice should be about right.
August 6, 2008 4:41:49 PM

I had installed my third party cooler, an ARCTIC cooler pro 7, but i bent the pins on it, im going to try to get those bent back, in the mean time, I just installed the intel heatsink. It had some thermal paste of the bottom of it, or at least so it seemed, my heatsink does not get hot, at all. I guess I will try reapplying the paste. Theres no chance this could just be a bad cpu?
August 6, 2008 4:41:55 PM

aye definate thermal throttling , my E8400 @ 3.6ghz gets 5.8. stock should see around 5.6
August 6, 2008 4:43:24 PM

And did I mention that I checked CPUz and it really is running at the 333x9 = 3GHz at all times?
August 6, 2008 4:47:19 PM

Your cpu is deffinitely throttling. Take care of your heatsink problem immediately. You do not have a bad chip, but if you continue running it the way you are running it, I have no doubt it will become bad.
August 6, 2008 6:39:17 PM

Wooo. Got it. New thermal paste and got my pins bent back and put my cooler on. CPU temps are now like 50c idle and 60c load, still seems a little hot but oh well. Reran 3dmark06 in crossfire, got like 15k, with a cpu score of 2.5k.
a b à CPUs
August 6, 2008 6:48:58 PM

boppacesagain08 said:
My bios and hwmonitor are reading cpu temps between 80c and 100c.

There's your problem for sure.
a b à CPUs
August 6, 2008 6:52:27 PM

boppacesagain08 said:
Wooo. Got it. New thermal paste and got my pins bent back and put my cooler on. CPU temps are now like 50c idle and 60c load, still seems a little hot but oh well. Reran 3dmark06 in crossfire, got like 15k, with a cpu score of 2.5k.

Dang I posted to late. lol Anyhow, nice. Glad things are running cooler. :)  60C at stock temps does seem a little high for a decent aftermarket cooler though.
August 6, 2008 7:01:22 PM

Seems like things are back to normal. I am in the same boat as you with temps though. I have a nice aftermarket HS and even then my temps idle around 55C and peak in the high 60Cs. I believe that I did apply too much thermal paste. I'm curious what a new application of the appropriate amount will change.
August 6, 2008 7:54:19 PM

Ya, im torture testing in the high 60s on a 3.6GHz over clock at 1.18V. I don't think im gonna mess with it, seeing as its not dieing on me.
a c 332 à CPUs
August 6, 2008 7:56:40 PM

What is your new Vista cpu index?
!