Hard drive in device manager but not in disk manager-how do I assign a drive let

tecmo34

Administrator
Normally this happens when your USB drive is wanting to establish the external as say drive E but you already have a drive under that number. I would look to change the "Drive E" letter to F or something along those lines in your disk manager. This should help it show up...

tynygongl

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
First of all thanks for your interest and help.
I changed the other external usb hard drive from "G" to "H" and re-booted but nothing has changed except of course the drive letter of my working external hard drive. The 2 usb connected external drives are still in device manager but the other "new" hard drive still does not appear. If you have a plan "B" I`m open to suggestions.

tynygongl

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Just tried it, the "new" drive didn`t show. This drive was working OK internally on a DELL, it`s a Western Digital WD200. At this stage I should tell you that I have a second computer I tried it on with exactly the same result. The only difference is, the second computer has only one hard drive and one dvd rom but is also only a usb 1.1. I updated the main computer by fitting it with a usb 2.0 card. The device I just bought is the (S- ATA&IDE USB2.0 - USB 2 to IDE & SATA ADAPTER KIT FOR LARGE CAPACITY DRIVE) Bought from Gizzoo.

tecmo34

Administrator
This image is what my disk manager looks like...

5a2474ea.jpg

(Sorry for the bad picture... took from my phone :D)

Is this how yours looks? If not look for the bars showing on the bottom of the picture. Your drive might require it to be formated first before it'll show up in the top part of the disk manager....

taso11

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
Have you tried rebooting your pc with the external hard drive powered up and connected? I experienced a weird issue after a bios update where the drive needed to be detected in the bios and it set in the proper boot order. If I tried to plug it in via usb while the pc was on I would get "error installing your device." Is is the drive partitioned and formatted? I'm not insulting your intelligence but maybe you need to run an install disc from the manufacturer? Maybe the device is just bad?

tynygongl

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Yes. that is exactly how mine looks minus the WD 200 external drive.

I`m probably being thick, but how do I re-format the drive (which does have one or two files on that I would like to retrieve) when it doesn`t show up in "my computer"

Incidently I`m beginning to think that the "OTB All in one driver" ie the converter I`ve attached to the drive is indeed faulty. In which case I am wasting everyones time.

Anyway thanks

tynygongl

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009

tecmo34

Administrator

I'm starting to think it is your OTB device that isn't working, as well.

You are not wasting our time... We are here to help trouble shoot, which we have done and now points to the potential issue with the OTB device versus a Windows setup issue.

tynygongl

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
That`s the only way I have ever tried it. I have run the disc from the manufacturer and I`m beginning to think that the product is indeed faulty.
The drive will need re-formatting, but I can`t re-format because it doesn`t show up in "My Computer"

Thanks for your input.

I shall send this link to the supplier to see if he has any suggestions (apart from get lost!)

tynygongl

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Just to tie up the loose ends.
I`ve had a discussion with the supplier who has agreed to refund the purchase price of the converter. He can`t replace with another because it was the last one in stock. I don`t have to return anything.
Any further problems with hardware and I won`t hesitate to bring them to "Tom`s"
Thankyou.