Your question

Troubleshooting Slow Bootup and general operation after Power Outage

Tags:
  • Drivers
  • Power Outage
  • Windows 8
Last response: in Windows 8
December 25, 2012 2:56:21 PM

Hello all! So yesterday I was playing some Metro 2033 and all of a sudden the power went off. When it came back on, I tried to restart my computer, only to find that in the time after the loading blue window logo, it takes about 5-10 minutes to get to the login screen, and after that another 10 minutes to get to the desktop. After that, everything is super slow to load. An application will take about a minute to open, but once open, it runs fine.
Some things I've tried are:
-Hard shutdown
-Boot into safe mode.
-System restore.
-Update Nvidia drivers (I don't know why)
I have also received this BSOD: "DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OPERATIONS (srvnet.sys)".
Another thing to note is that my disk active time under task manager is at 100% constantly with no fluctuations.
Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

More about : troubleshooting slow bootup general operation power outage

a b \ Driver
a b * Windows 8
December 25, 2012 3:08:38 PM

Hi :) 

Run a hard drive test in DOS...HIRENS CD etc, it sounds like a failing hard drive...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
December 25, 2012 3:18:10 PM

Sorry for the multiple posts. It kept telling me the site was unavailable so I kept refreshing. Thanks for the suggestions though, I'll give it a try.
m
l
December 25, 2012 3:34:36 PM

dingo07 said:
defrag your HDD - and then download and run this http://www.piriform.com/blog/2012/12/21/ccleaner-v326

When I try to click "optimize" under drive tools in "computer", it says "Storage optimizer cannot start because the task scheduler service is not running. Start the task scheduler service and try again." Also, my control panel won't open now and my wifi card isn't working. Would all this be solved if I formatted my drive and fresh installed? How about the "refresh" option?
m
l
!