Sign in with
Your question

Vista Folder Sharing Over Network Problems

Last response: in Networking
January 25, 2009 7:21:37 PM

Hello, I have brand new Vista Home Premium machine and I wish to share folders on this PC with other computer over my network. All other computers are running Windows XP. I have successfully shared a printer from one of my XP computers to my Vista machine (printer is connected to XP machine and shared to Vista) however I cannot for the life of me share folders on the Vista machine with any other XP machine.

I have gone through all the instructions on File Sharing in Vista and I can see the Vista machine through the network on my XP machines. However, when I try and access the machine or map to any folders on the Vista machine I receive the error "You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the this server to find out if you have access permissions. Logon Failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer."

I have tried just about everything I could find when googling this problem to no avail. I have downloaded and installed the Windows Resource Kit Tools and tried running the ntrights commands to open policies to give my guest account login rights, but running those commands give me errors in the command prompt. I'm at a loss here and it's extremely frustrating that it's so difficult to share files on a Vista machine whereas on my XP machines it was literally 3 clicks of the button and done.

Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated. TIA
January 25, 2009 7:37:29 PM

Stupid solution, I thought I had checked and double checked this but I guess not. Password sharing was still enabled. *slaps forehead
!