Getting mixed messages on CPU temp! Which is right???

MCHAWKING

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
Hi all

I am thinking about OCing my Q9450. I'm running it on a P5N72-T mobo with 4 gigs of dominator ram. Before I do that I want to make sure that the stock temps are ok, but different programs are giving my wildly different readings. PC Probe & speed fan list my idling temp at around 32 degrees, the BIOS says I'm at 41 degrees when I check that, and NVIDIA's system monitor and HWMonitor list my idle at around 50! (All temps C) I am just running on stock air cooling.

Such wildly varying data, idk which to trust, seems like 50 degrees is pretty high for an idle, if that were the case would it still be safe to OC?

Thanks.

atrain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
From what I have heard, Realtemp is the most accurate program for your CPU temps. Give that a try and post what it says.

Also, what kind of heatsink are you using? Stock? Don't plan on overclocking too much with the stock heatsink, you won't get too far without burning up.

I would say 50 degrees IS pretty high for idle, and until you confirm that it's not the case, don't overclock.

MCHAWKING

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
I downloaded real temp and ran it. I also ran the test sensor function a bunch of times. Core #1 consistently got only 3-4 sensor movements, where as the others got 5-7 everytime, so perhaps sensors aren't quite right with that one but atleast they are all in the desired range for a non OC'd cpu.

The 4 cores are listed as: 47, 46, 43, 48
In contrast, Nvidia lists the temps as: 57, 58, 53, 56 (Quite high for idle!)

And yes I am just using stock heatsinks and fans although there are a lot of fans running. I am just trying to get the cpu to maybe 3.2, preferably w/o increasing the voltage, as I am a noob and I don't want to **** around with the voltages.

Also, what does the distance to TJ max mean? I have around 50 for all 4 cores.

atrain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
distance to TJ max just means how far away your core temps are from the max, which is 100 for the Q9450.

Before you do any overclocking, pay attention.

GET AN AFTERMARKET HEATSINK! lol

Seriously. You can get a Xigmatek HDT 1283 for $26 after rebate from Newegg. I have the same processor and my temps are(estimated since I'm at work[but I remember]):

28 34 29 30

Using the HDT 1283. This is at stock idle. Also, make sure you apply your thermal paste correctly. It makes a big difference. It should be a thin layer covering the top of the CPU.

Max Tj is how many degrees you have to go before automatic throttleing/shutdown (i forget which).

Temps don't look too-too bad; a bit high, but still ok. You *might* want a better HS/Fan combo though. For the OC you have planned, temps probably won't turn into an issue though.

MCHAWKING

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
I think the problem might be the thermal paste. When we were putting the heat sink on the cpu, we were having trouble getting it to click in properly to the mobo and had to remove it 2 or 3 times after it being partially in place. I think this may have smeared the thermal paste in the process, what do you think?

MCHAWKING

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
When you run realtemp... read what it says when you test the sensor, the very bottom part.

Yes I read it. Intel doesn't recommend using this to test idle temps? Intel doesn't recommend overclocking either, yet here we are on an OC forum? I'm not following you.

atrain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
As for smearing, the heatsink is supposed to squish the thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink to get the best contact. If you mean it may have smeared some off, then you should reapply it. Make sure you have the heatsink pushed all the way in. Those push pins can be a pain. I still recommend a aftermarket heatsink as you'll see a drastic decline in your temps, but if you're set on the stock one, just make sure it's fixed on there tight.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

Okay.. just ignore me. I'm done for help anyone from now on.

MCHAWKING

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2008
What would you recommend as a decent cheap after market heatsink, and does it come with heat paste or do I have to buy it separately?

Witt78

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008

Zalman 9700 LED is an old workhorse. That Xigmatek HDT 1283 is an excellent heatsink. And the Thermalright U-120 Extreme is hard to beat. (Though it's expensive.)

Few heatsinks will come with thermal paste. and if it does, you will likely want to buy some higher quality paste anyway. Buy 3 grams of Arctic Silver 5 paste. It's about $5 or $6 and works works great.

--------------------

About the Q9450 Stock cooler... It does not come with paste. However, there are three stips of thermal compound on the bottom of the stock heatsink. That stuff melts when it gets hot for the first time and serves as the thermal connection between sink and CPU.

When I unboxed my new Q9450, I didn't expect those strips to already be on the bottom of the sinc. I ended up putting a big palm print right on the strips. They also prevented me from cleaning the sink just before installing it.

Furthermore, the four push pins on the heatsink don't really work well. They just don't stay in there.

My heatsink popped out once, and my temps went up a LOT untill I fixed it. Now it's installed properly again, but I'm quite sure if my PC case was open, I could reach in there and just grab it off the motherboard with a snatch.

On top of that!!! When the heat sink came un-seated my thermal compound was likely screwed up in the process. (More than it was already screwed up with the giant palm print.)

- Witt

PS - The Zalman 9700 LED comes with a retention bracket. You gotta remove the motherboard from the case, to install the heatsink AND it's retention bracket on the other side of the motherboard. But when you're done, you'd need a hammer to get the heatsink off.

The Xigmatek 1283 and the thermalright U- 120 Extreme use push pin design of some sort. You can buy a seperate retention bracket for them if you want though. It's sold seperately

atrain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

I don't think he meant to offend you(as in "I'm not following you[r advice]"), but rather, "I'm not following you[, could you explain more?] At least that's how I read it.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

I'll explain it to you.

He wants to get accurate temps.

Someone recommends realtemp, you.

Then he reports IDLE temps of real temp and nvidia.

I ask a simple question (actually I told him to read what it says :oops:), about what it says when your test the sensors.

Then he tells me he read it, with a smartass comment:

Yes I read it. Intel doesn't recommend using this to test idle temps? Intel doesn't recommend overclocking either, yet here we are on an OC forum?

Obviously, he read it, but wants the right temps, with OC'ing. I guess he failed to read anything on realtemp's website.

I did type up some info that would have been useful, and decided to delete what I had up here. But I've already talked about this in other related threads. After getting pissed off at his comment, I'm pretty much done helping anyone. People come here for help/advice, and yet sometimes those same people.. just have a way with words that just pisses me off sometimes, even though I try to be polite.

lambofgode3x

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2006

i know what you mean...my water block used the 4 push pins and one kept coming out...so i went to home depot, bought 8 galvanized steel washers with rubber backs, 4 bolts, springs, and nuts, and made my own hold down system. works great and it cost me less than a baconator sandwich.

and to the op...listen to Grimmy. he knows what he's talking about....most of the reason i got my q6600 to where it is is because of his posts in other threads.

atrain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

Guess I read it wrong.