Need Help! New System will not boot Intel DX38BT

pbedrosi

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Guys, I just put my new system together tonight....

Intel Extreme Series DC38BT board
Intel E8400
Corsair XMS3 1333mhz DDR3 (1gig x2)
NZXT Lexa blackline case
Corsair VX550w power supply
eVGA 8600GT 256mb

All seems to go well but I can't boot to dvd drive to install Vista.
I get the error message "BOOTMGR is missing" hit Ctr-Alt-Del. I made sure the boot sequence checks the dvd drive first, but I don't hear it run and I'm stuck at this message.

Any help?

pbedrosi

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
I have 2 HD's through SATA cables, Raid is not active. The optical drive is connected through IDE cable. At first the optical drive was not being recognized, until I figured out it was set to slave. Even set to master it would not recognize the drive, not until I completely removed the jumper did I see the optical drive show up in BIOS.

The optical drive came out of my working Compaq desktop (Toshiba Lightscribe). I see LED activity on the drive but don't hear it spool up. So I know the drive is good.

When I get home I'll make sure the JMicron controller is enabled, I just don't recall seeing that option. I did at one time disable the secondary SATA controller, figured I'm only using 2 of the 6 ports, but I lost my IDE as well, but I have this enabled now.

Also, I though maybe my Vista media was bad, but I can't even boot using the BIOS update "boot CD" I made. It is supposed to have a small Linux program that will update the BIOS.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, the easy answer is that the system isn't reading the optical drive. Now you just have to figure out whether its a problem with BIOS settings, or a problem with the drive itself.

You could buy an SATA DVD burner for around $30.

pbedrosi

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
You mean the firmware? I'm not sure. It was OEM drive in my HP and I know HP didn't have any updates to it. But I can see...I would have to reinstall on my older system to update first.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Does the optical drive show up by name in the BIOS boot order page? Chances are, if you simply select "CD-ROM" or "Optical Drive" the system is looking for one on the Intel controller. You may need to alter BIOS boot order to boot from the JMicron controller, whatever it's called in BIOS (secondary SATA controller or whatever the name).

nhanandmel

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Did a little research for you on Newegg, there's a few users that complained about the same thing as you. But here's one guys remarks:

"Could not get it to boot anything. After troubleshooting and researching, I realized that changing the boot order in the BIOS was not going to fix the error. I needed to disable to Network Interface to get it to boot from CD to install the OS. After installing I needed to download and upgrade the BIOS to the latest revision (from Intel) to fix the boot bug. I installed it from my flash drive (would prove to be difficult without another PC). The board has been performing fantastic ever since!"

Hope that helps you figure out how to get it to boot

pbedrosi

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Yes, the optical drive shows up as TSS something...in the drive section. In the boot section the sequence is setup for CD-Rom first. I'll check the actual controllers etc..when I get home in a few hours....thanks for all the insight.

I want this thing to boot up so bad I can taste the speed!!! I know its not a crazy setup but I've been using a lame HP single core AMD 3500 for the last 2 years.

aequasi

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
My Son and I are having the EXACT same problem with this board. We have an IDE DVD drive (samsung I thing) and a WD IDE drive. DVD is slave, drive is master. I even tested with a SATA hard drive but no luck. I did try the suggesting from the guy in the NewEgg post and that didn't seem to help. I looked in bios for anything JMicron but don't see any options for that. the IDE controller is enabled however.. I'll keep watching.

aequasi

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2008
We just got something to work. I had noticed that this motherboard has "one time boot menu" which allows you to boot from whatever you want to boot from. I believe that it is F8 but im not sure, i just spammed the last 8 function buttons. We took the advice of someone else and disabled all of the network stuff. After i got into the "OTBM" i selected my external Memorex dvd-rw burner connected by USB and after i selected it it told me to press any key to boot to cd or dvd. so i did that and it worked! woo!!!

pbedrosi

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Sorry to post so late with my status...it took a while to work through and a small vacation in between....

It took me a while to update the BIOS. I had to create a boot USB drive (using and old utility from Dell) since I could not get Intel's boot CD bios application to work. I even swapped out couple of CD and DVD drives, thinking it was an optical drive issue.

Once I updated the BIOS I could boot from the DVD and install Vista 64bit. Strage thing was that once I installed and ran couple of updates I could not boot the machine again (same message). I had to disabled LAN and several other devices and boot from the Vista install DVD. I had to then select repain installation or some option like that.

The next day same issue, in the same boot sequence, but different message, something that basically indicates I don't have a valid HD attached. Not sure what was going on but went through the same steps (diable, boot from Vista, repair installation) and got it working for good. So far the PC is running very fast and stable. It was way too much trouble for my 2nd build but in the end all worth it. Thanks for all the help.