Newegg and 790GX: A matchmade in heaven? - page 2

65 answers Last reply
  1. BaronMatrix said:
    I'm using Intel graphics right now. They suck. I did a test with Excel of resizing cells and there was a nice delay with XP\Excel 2003 and a small file. I used a larger file with XP\Excel 2007(more resource hungry) and half the RAM and got NO delay on my 1.6 Turion w\6150.

Besides, the last time I put up videos from YouTube, I was told they were homemade and didn't count (double standards anyone - you all just prove WHY you're sheep and why I will never buy Intel). I'll have to look later as our network is SLOWWWWW. But I've seen several tests vs AMD systems and the Intel system sucked.

Also, EVERYONE KNOWS Intels graphics suck. I'm actually late to the party.

Oh, you mean your DVD playback video, which compared 2 systems with nothing stating what the specs were, or why one had a totally different desktop environment? That video? Or the 2 AMD sales videos? These are just videos of someone playing games using an Intel X3100 IGP.

So, there is no double standard, because I am not comparing the Intel X3100 to anything. Just showing how badly Intel IGPs are in gaming (as you suggested).

As for why you will never buy Intel, I could care less. That's your business. To call everyone who does purchase Intel products "sheep" is just idiotic, but I guess the nut doesn't fall far from the tree.

As for your personal "experience" story with Excel 2003 & 2007, and laptop responsiveness...well, I think it's mostly user error, than hardware error, myself. But since my proof is just as tangible as your proof, it's a moot point.
  2. jimmysmitty said:
    ^He wont believe it. You should make a video of that and that way its proof.

BM your second 2 videos were of course made by AMD thus its hard to trust them. If you were a company and made a video about your new hardware would you say how great the competition is? No you would make sure your product looks better.

If those two were from say a reliable PC hardware site then they would have more credability.

Same goes for the video with the two systems you posted. And not only the fact that that video was made by AMD but they were obviously handicapping the Intel system.

I will watch the videos when I get home because it takes 15-20 minutes to load one at work. But then I will judge the videos.

You're ridiculous. I told you I didn't say that. EVERY SITE I HAVE EVER VISITED SAID INTEL'S GRAPHICS SUCK. From my experiences at work I HAVE TO AGREE. You are saying that AMD can't be trusted but some guy on a forum can? If I had said that, you'd have asked for screenshots. You ARE BIASED, but Intel's graphics still suck. I guess if you never use a 6150 or an X1250, you'll swear you're screaming.

For AMD to sabotage tests would only make them look bad when the truth came out. Like with Intel and it's compilers and optimizations.
  3. NMDante said:
    Oh, you mean your DVD playback video, which compared 2 systems with nothing stating what the specs were, or why one had a totally different desktop environment? That video? Or the 2 AMD sales videos? These are just videos of someone playing games using an Intel X3100 IGP.

So, there is no double standard, because I am not comparing the Intel X3100 to anything. Just showing how badly Intel IGPs are in gaming (as you suggested).

As for why you will never buy Intel, I could care less. That's your business. To call everyone who does purchase Intel products "sheep" is just idiotic, but I guess the nut doesn't fall far from the tree.

As for your personal "experience" story with Excel 2003 & 2007, and laptop responsiveness...well, I think it's mostly user error, than hardware error, myself. But since my proof is just as tangible as your proof, it's a moot point.

But you are sheep. Every review site says Intels graphics suck. How can there be user error in te resizing of a cell in Excel? It's no tlike I came up with the test. I was resizing with my C2 and it was delaying the draw. I then opened a LARGER one in Excel 2007 (don't have 2003) and didn't see the delay.

Oh did I mention you're all sheep? I never thought I'd see the day that someone had the lack of sense to defend Intel's IGPs. And you actually use the same arguments that I used to promote X2 as "fast enough." Two-face thy name is The Brood.
  4. IGP in general sucks when compared to actual cards... not just Intel's. The whole point of IGP's is low-cost, low power solutions... not 3D performance.
  5. BaronMatrix said:
    But you are sheep. Every review site says Intels graphics suck. How can there be user error in te resizing of a cell in Excel? It's no tlike I came up with the test. I was resizing with my C2 and it was delaying the draw. I then opened a LARGER one in Excel 2007 (don't have 2003) and didn't see the delay.

Oh did I mention you're all sheep? I never thought I'd see the day that someone had the lack of sense to defend Intel's IGPs. And you actually use the same arguments that I used to promote X2 as "fast enough." Two-face thy name is The Brood.

HAHA. You and your revisionist history of the "fast enough" statement. Last I remembered, it wasn't that AMD's CPUs were "fast enough", it was "fast enough" only after Phenom was released, and found to be behind vs. the Core 2 lineup in performance. That was when the so called "fast enough" statement started. After months of pumping how Barcelona would "stomp" Intel, taking Randy Allen's "40% performance gains across the board" statement to heart, and how Agena would take the crown back. This was also during the Quad FX by Christmas thing, too. So, yeah. You promoted "fast enough" only after your favorite company's product disappointed.

The difference - No one has ever defended or claimed Intel has great gaming/heavy graphics capable IGPs, only YOU. Just look at it now. You state that Intel IGPs cannot run WoW. All I did was show a video of the Intel IGP playing WoW, and you call me a "sheep", and this is how I am defending how great they are, as well? Uh, no. I simply showed that the Intel IGP can play WoW, even if it was at low settings. Where did I say they are great for gaming? No where? Hmmm. I personally wouldn't play a game on a laptop, especially one that is heavily dependent on graphics. Same with any IGP based desktop system.

So, you can keep imagining the so called "The Brood" in your mind, cause that's the only place it exists. But I don't remember you staunchly advocating AMD IGPs until recently? Why is that? Because AMD has a great IGP now, it's okay, but when they were still equal with nVidia, not a peep about IGPs or their performance. Hmmm. Who is the real "sheep"?
  6. I am biased? Wow. Thats the kettle calling the pot black.

BM don't try to turn it around, you are horrible at that.

You don't consider that video with AMD having the systems at different settings rigged? If it was the other way around and you saw a Intel system vs a AMD system and the AMD system had the advanced Vista features running you would be screaming and whining.

Its like running a game in XP vs Vista. Most PCs even with the same specs will get about 5-10% better FPS in XP.

Either way the stuff you posted was to biased to AMD. As I said if it was THG or another reliable website posting those videos and they were easily running the SAME setup and not different settings in the OS then I would have no problem with what you posted. But until then the videos you posted are obvious AMD marketing and BS.

As I said I can't watch the videos NMDante posted because I am at work with about oh IDK 5K+ PCs running on a single T3 all using the internet thus it takes forever to load a video or even some big images.
  7. You're not missing much, jimmy. Just some gaming vids by some folks who wanted to show that gaming is possible using the X3100, albeit, at lower resolution and settings.

On a side note, looks like Dell doesn't care about IGP either, according to this article: "Dell Ditches AMD in New Business Notebooks"
    http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanalysis/top-tech-performers/10433036.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA
    Whether or not this is true is unknown, but it could affect AMD mobile sales, I think.
  8. ^Yea but I like to look at everything and give a fair analasis of everything.

Oh and as I said before most businesses are going to buy the cheaper solution which 90% of the time is a Intel IGP hence why every machine at my work has C2D E6300s with Intel mobos and IGPs.
  9. DIfferent folks have different needs. When we're arguing about 3d benchmarks on one side, and the other side is talking about a business environment, we get nowhere.

AMD IGPs obviously don't target business users who only want 2D. Whether it's a GMA950 or 790GX or G80 doesn't matter graphics-wise, so the business decision will be based on platform performance/power consumption (Intel typically wins this) and platform cost (AMD tends to have the upper hand).

AMD IGPs do target mainstream consumers - they're a better choice for casual gaming and media playback, without costing extra, as a discrete card would. The slower CPU that tends to go with the platform is not a heavy drawback.

AMD IGPs don't target heavy gamers or enthusiasts. These IGPs are still too weak to match up to recent generation GPUs in the latest games, and hardcore gamers will easily pay extra for a good discrete card (and a strong CPU to pair up with it).
  10. NMDante said:
    HAHA. You and your revisionist history of the "fast enough" statement. Last I remembered, it wasn't that AMD's CPUs were "fast enough", it was "fast enough" only after Phenom was released, and found to be behind vs. the Core 2 lineup in performance. That was when the so called "fast enough" statement started. After months of pumping how Barcelona would "stomp" Intel, taking Randy Allen's "40% performance gains across the board" statement to heart, and how Agena would take the crown back. This was also during the Quad FX by Christmas thing, too. So, yeah. You promoted "fast enough" only after your favorite company's product disappointed.

The difference - No one has ever defended or claimed Intel has great gaming/heavy graphics capable IGPs, only YOU. Just look at it now. You state that Intel IGPs cannot run WoW. All I did was show a video of the Intel IGP playing WoW, and you call me a "sheep", and this is how I am defending how great they are, as well? Uh, no. I simply showed that the Intel IGP can play WoW, even if it was at low settings. Where did I say they are great for gaming? No where? Hmmm. I personally wouldn't play a game on a laptop, especially one that is heavily dependent on graphics. Same with any IGP based desktop system.

So, you can keep imagining the so called "The Brood" in your mind, cause that's the only place it exists. But I don't remember you staunchly advocating AMD IGPs until recently? Why is that? Because AMD has a great IGP now, it's okay, but when they were still equal with nVidia, not a peep about IGPs or their performance. Hmmm. Who is the real "sheep"?

K10 is stomping the guts out of Core 2. Intel's own tests showed that Penryn at 3GHz can't beat Opteron at 2.3GHz in HPC. As long as you remember that you all said "fast enough" wasn't good enough with AMD but is with Intel, I'll keep saying you're sheep.

As far as videos, I posted videos that contradict that statement and so do all of the 780G reviews.

BTW, was I even talking to you? I don't think so, so you are a troll masquerading as Brood. I don't have a favorite company only a preferred one.
  11. NMDante said:
    You're not missing much, jimmy. Just some gaming vids by some folks who wanted to show that gaming is possible using the X3100, albeit, at lower resolution and settings.

On a side note, looks like Dell doesn't care about IGP either, according to this article: "Dell Ditches AMD in New Business Notebooks"
    http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/newsanalysis/top-tech-performers/10433036.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA
    Whether or not this is true is unknown, but it could affect AMD mobile sales, I think.

Maybe they paid them off again. There is a class action regarding Intel paying off Dell to use more of their chips. Besides, HP is loving Puma as is Asus, Toshiba, Acer, MSI and Fujitsu. All of them have Puma in retail and online. Toshiba has 5 or 6 models, HP has 5 or 6 including CPQs. By sept you should see all 100 of those design wins.

If AMD is smart they'll EOL the older models and shrink Griffin using Stars cores.
  12. WR said:
    DIfferent folks have different needs. When we're arguing about 3d benchmarks on one side, and the other side is talking about a business environment, we get nowhere.

AMD IGPs obviously don't target business users who only want 2D. Whether it's a GMA950 or 790GX or G80 doesn't matter graphics-wise, so the business decision will be based on platform performance/power consumption (Intel typically wins this) and platform cost (AMD tends to have the upper hand).

AMD IGPs do target mainstream consumers - they're a better choice for casual gaming and media playback, without costing extra, as a discrete card would. The slower CPU that tends to go with the platform is not a heavy drawback.

AMD IGPs don't target heavy gamers or enthusiasts. These IGPs are still too weak to match up to recent generation GPUs in the latest games, and hardcore gamers will easily pay extra for a good discrete card (and a strong CPU to pair up with it).

I don't think I mentioned games until people defended their crayons. I have a C2 at work and the graphics take much longer to do anything than my Turion with half the RAM and lower clockspeed. They are both HP on the same network. I'm sorry I noticed it now. Of course I'm just making it up and I'm totally happy with the responsiveness. NOT!

AMD wins in power too because the chipset sucks...more power.
  13. BaronMatrix said:
    K10 is stomping the guts out of Core 2. Intel's own tests showed that Penryn at 3GHz can't beat Opteron at 2.3GHz in HPC. As long as you remember that you all said "fast enough" wasn't good enough with AMD but is with Intel, I'll keep saying you're sheep.

As far as videos, I posted videos that contradict that statement and so do all of the 780G reviews.

BTW, was I even talking to you? I don't think so, so you are a troll masquerading as Brood. I don't have a favorite company only a preferred one.

In HPC? That's great. Now, how many people that visit the forum has an HPC in their home? Oh, and that is why Intel developed Nehalem, by the way.
    What about K10 stomping the guts out of Core 2 in desktop? Mobile? Oh, wait, those aren't important, it's all about HPC, right?

Again, with the "fast enough" thing. You are the only one saying that. Please show us where anyone defended Intel's IGP as being as good as AMD's IGP. What? Can't? Why not? Probably because no one made that claim, just YOU. In fact, all people have been saying is that Intel's IGP does the job it was made for, nothing more. Yet, you compare that with AMD's Phenom performance claims, and your own claims of Phenom's performance, and when they didn't fulfill those claims, it became YOUR mantra of "fast enough" or "good enough". That was all you, and no one else.

You posted videos that showed 2 laptops running a movie. Now, tell us...what were those laptops settings? What was running in the background of each? How much memory was in each system? Right.

I am a troll? Ha. That's funny. You're the one calling anyone with an Intel system "sheep", yet I'm the troll. Ha. I guess this imagination comes from your screenwriting abilities. Ha.

Since there is only 2 in the race, I guess it's easy to guess what is your favorite.

BaronMatrix said:
    Maybe they paid them off again. There is a class action regarding Intel paying off Dell to use more of their chips. Besides, HP is loving Puma as is Asus, Toshiba, Acer, MSI and Fujitsu. All of them have Puma in retail and online. Toshiba has 5 or 6 models, HP has 5 or 6 including CPQs. By sept you should see all 100 of those design wins.

If AMD is smart they'll EOL the older models and shrink Griffin using Stars cores.

And here comes Act II - The Bribe.
    Yeah, Intel paid of Dell. You're just a genius! I mean, the companies are being looked at, and they will do something like that "again". Wow. Pure genius.

Glad to hear PUMA will be out and about. It will just compete with Apple and Intel's offerings from HP and others, as well. Got to love variety.
  14. As NM said what the crap does HPC have to do with anything here? Desktops and mobile are nothing like what HPC is.

As for your work PC there is something vastly wrong with it. Probably you screwed something up software wise or something hardware wise is broken because even my work PC is not laggy with only 2GB of slow crappy generic Dell RAM.
  15. BaronMatrix said:

AMD wins in power too because the chipset sucks...more power.

Course! The everything else sucks more power. Most companies/ organisations like to save 1 or 2w per machine... it all adds up. They could save even more power with the 740G, a die shrink of the 690G (plus some stuff too!) Also the 45w Athlon X2s are great for them too!
  16. Come On, lets all get along :)
    The IGP discussion was going nicely, don't go to No-mans land Nehalem vs Deneb Discussions.

Some shine in some apps, other shine in other apps.

@Baronmatrix

About the laptop issue. Yup you could find Santa Rosa at 499$ but that a PC with 1GB Ram and fairly limited on the rest. I cant put my finger on it, but i guess that would be a refurbished one. They are always a bit cheaper. They do direct competition to the Turion line ? Sorry but no. In volume of stock/sales they are pretty low. Laptops start devaluing after 6 months. At 9-12 months they are completely EOL. They become fire sales, and everything must go :) But that's just a detail how you work in volumes.

As i said before you could find a example to contradict me (as you did very well) but in general Turion grabs the low/mid markets and Intel likes to capitalize on high ones. For other Centrino platforms, they follow distribution rules of a product life cycle, so don't be surprised if you see great deals on this part. Myself i usually go for those deals. You save a bundle and you still got a decent product on your hands.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Product