Motherboard Swap - Multiple IDE Channel Annoyance

dukeofcrydee

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I just finished upgrading my PC by swapping the motherboard and various components. I was sure to go through the Systems menu beforehand and disable all motherboard related entries. Everything works great except for one thing. Whenever I boot, XP detects 5 IDE Channels it can not install. I uninstall and/or disable them to no avail...they keep getting detected on every boot.

My new motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L and I've installed all the drivers from Gigabyte's website as well as the included CD.

This is a picture of what my System menu currently looks like:

idechannelproblem.jpg

I don't particularly care that it can't find them....my HD & DVD drives work fine...but the detection on boot is really annoying. Any ideas?

bf2gameplaya

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Here are a few things to consider, not in any particular order:

1) What mobo (chipset and drivers) did you migrate from? I'll bet it wasn't a P35. Did you properly prepare your existing hardware configuration in XP for the "in-place upgrade", by setting your ATA drives to the native and default IDE driver? If not, it is possible you are experiencing odd behavior from ghost drivers.

2) What does your BIOS say? Are there IDE controllers available in the BIOS that can be enabled/disabled?

3) When you say you installed drivers from Gigabyte's website, which drivers are those? the P35 chipset drivers? What version are they?

4) Have you tried booting in safe mode with show "hidden driver" and "super hidden driver" both on in device manager?

5) Have you tried a registry cleaner? It sounds like you did not properly prepare your XP configuration prior to the swap. There are specific steps you must take before you shut down XP for the last time on your old mobo, before you attach your HDD and try to boot into XP on the new mobo.

Maybe those devices are real, maybe they are not. That's half the problem.

monsoon1

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
I've got the same thing happening, also a Gigabyte motherboard swap.

I went from the P35 Gigabyte, to a P45 Gigabyte.

These are phantom channels that don't exist.

I can disable these channels, 2 in my case, and still be able to use my IDE Plextor burner.

This is an issue of Windows not wanting to give up the ghost.

And like threadstarter, no matter how many times you disable and uninstall the hardware,
it pops back up when you restart.

G

I encountered a similar problem with a motherboard swap. In my case the motherboard was a Gigabyte GA-M61PME-S2P.

In my case when XP booted it would always find 2 new IDE Drives and then say that the existing driver was unsuitable but my IDE drives would still work.

I fixed the driver incompatability by changing a setting in the BIOS. Under "Integrated Peripherals" I changed the option for "IDE Prefetch Mode" to disabled. After this change the drivers appeared to work correctly.

HTH