8GB 1066 DDR2 or 4GB 2000 DD3?

planetnine

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
I really want to stay with windows XPpro so i am wanting to get 4GB of DD3-2000. However if debating on rather to use my copy of vista ultimate and dual boot and just buy 8GB of DDR2. What do you guys think? Is the memory timing that much faster to make it worth it for games?

ausch30

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
^+1

The latencies of DDR3 are so high that there isn't any difference between it and high quality DDR2, although there is a big difference in price.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
I'd go with DDR2, but you may want to check the article out about 4GB vs 8GB - they say there is virtually no difference with 8GB and sometimes it hinders performance.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

While Nehalem comes at end of this year or beginning of next, it's only the "extreme" version that Intel releases first. Those cost a fortune. You'll have to wait almost a year for mainstream versions to hit the market. Some people run on old machines that just don't cut it anymore, and can't wait so long.

planetnine

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2008
ok sounds great guys. Thanks for helping me make up my mind. Im going to go ahead and stick with ddr2 - 1066. Now i need to decide if i want to bother with vista and 8gb or just get more memory later when the new windows comes out in 1-2 years.

thanks,

venkat karthik

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
you must understand how most of the ram is used

generally even the fastest ddr3 ram and ddr or ddr2 ram have almost the same amount of time to access the data if processor asks data from positions in the ram which are not continuous

the difference in them is the sequential bandwidth.if processor asks the data which are side and side as an array then the speed is very high and there comes the bandwidth of the ram

suppose processor asks for memory in 10th ,99 th, 57 th postion then then for every time the data comes after the latency

if we ask as data from 34th to 500th position into cache
then the only time the latency occurs is during the fetch of the first bit of data and from there it comes at the speed of ram maximum bandwidth

so here the ram speed matters

you must also know that having ram speed more than the fsb(front side bus) do not gain anything

in most of the cases the difference in performance of programs using different speeds is not that much because they mostly access data randomly from various locations or the time(in this case low latency ram has a lot of advantage) or computation in cache is very high when compared to memory writing and reading

but the hardware, compilers , programs ... are designed to make use of memory bandwidth(to fetch memory in continuous mode )

the thing which happens is that when processor does not find the available data in its cache then it loads some amount (few kilo bytes)of continuous data which comes from ram and copied into cache then the data is modified as the program suggests and generally written into some other position in ram as the program has to do , in generally writing occurs sequential

Intel ,amd and programmers know that ram is slow in random access but in sequential access it rocks hence programmers make programs for using sequential fetch

for most of the games memory speed can increase fps(when physics in games occurs like explosions and particles fl away and gravity ...)

you just need a good gpu and faster processor to get good fps

note: more ram means more good gaming (if ram speed is near to fsb, else make a dual channel with ram)

G

why so many threads about ddr 3 vs ddr2.... ddr3 isn't worth it until nehalem.... also 8gb of ddr 2 is equal to 8 gbs of ddr3.... ddr3 does virtually double the limit of space... a GB is stll a GB.... lke if you run 2 GB in vista w/ ddr2 and then switch to 1 GB ddr3.... you'll have MUCH worse performance.... its only 1 GB it can't make up for the fact that it has less space just because its slightly faster

Most games and other programs are written and compiled in 32 bit mode. As such they can use at most 4gb, and usually less. If you are running just one such program, then 4gb should be all that you can use effectively. If, however, you are multitasking, and running several programs, then 8gb will be very good.

DDR2-800 will perform within 1-3% of the fastest DDR3 ram in real applications(vs. synthetic memory benchmarks). That's not worth it to me today.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Why do you need 2-3gb of page file with 8gb ram? Just disable it completely. :p

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

You mean if it runs out of ram. No program actually requires page file. :p

As a matter of interest, what benefit do you get if you reduce your page file, or even eliminate it in Vista-64 and 8gb? Saving a few gb of hard drive space does not seem to be worth much to me. Are there other benefits?

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

Page file from hdd is slow. Just think about the speed difference between your hard drive and ram. When the PC starts to use significant amount of page file off hdd, you'll notice constant hdd activity along with severe slowdown.

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Disabling the page file will slow your PC down and cuases some programs to crash. It's best to just let Windows manage it. Conceptually reducing it would increase performance however in actual practice it does not. It's a Windows thing and I've been able to disable it in Vista.

For a while I ran a 2GB ram drive however benchmarking software showed that ready boost with a slow flash drive was 2x faster. The result was rather puzzling to me.

I would think that a program that forces pages to/from the pagefile is aware of how much ram it has to work with, and is trying to manage some limitation in the amount of ram it has to work with. With 8gb, it should not have to do this often.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

Nehalm is Due in Oct., Starting at $284 for the 2.66Ghz Model.
So No, it will not just be the Extreme Editions at the start.

There will be some premium upon initial release, but not enough to price people out who are already in that general price range.