Sign in with
Your question

Gigabit lan only transfer file @ 11MB/S

Last response: in Networking
January 26, 2009 3:37:44 AM

Hi everyone,

I have an Asus P5Q deluxe for one computer and AN832MVP for the other, both presumely have gigabit lan connection0.o

I connect them through a Dlink 825 router and turn off the software firewall (windows) on both computer. There is no antivirus program to slow block connection or anything. The max transfer rate I get is 11MB/s i tried transfering wirelessly too and i get a paltry 5MB/s

am i doing something wrong?

I also tried to transfer file from a system with windows 2003 server, 8MB/s
January 26, 2009 6:58:43 PM

If you go to the task manager then the networking task it'll tell you the link speed. It sounds like something is still running at 100Mbps.
January 27, 2009 3:24:23 AM

nope link speed are both 1gb/s problem was it used to be a paltry 5MB/s b4 i disable windows firewall and upgrade from an WRT54GL!
January 29, 2009 7:18:15 PM

If you are transferring many small files, expect slower transfer rates than if you are streaming one large file. Also, you might want to try to optimize your TCP stack for a low latency network (basically your LAN acts differently than your usual WAN setup).

There exists a simple program with pre-made settings for exactly this case that is available online here: http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php (tcp optimizer).

Now if you wanted me to explain to you exactly why this is relevant to your case, I'd only refer you a bunch of technical info which you most likely wouldn't read ;)  So just go download the program and try it out, you might be surprised.
!