OC problem on DFI

buster89

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
Hy!
here's the deal
i had some default ddr800 adata ram (2x1gb) and i had it on overclock for some time now and as time went by they became more unstable and i had to go lower and lower with the oc on the ram

my setup is
dfi nforce 570 ultra
amd X2 4000+
3850 512mb ..
the problem is that i've upgraded my memory to vitesta series and i cant get an overclock thats decent,
the cpu works fine for up to 3.1 ghz at 1,425v , and the ram at cl4 ddr 975mhz or ddr 1100 cl5 , but when i combine these to get an oc for the cpu and the memory together the sistem doesn't boot anymore .
the thing is that those default cl5 memory's worked fine at ddr1020mhz and the cpu at ~3ghz but now i cant get close to these settings , the highest oc now is 2.9ghz and memory at 966mhz , or 3.1ghz and the memory's at ddr900cl4, but separatly they work fine.

so my question is WHATS WRONG?? is the mobo 'toast' or the cpu has some issues , on more thing to add

when i give a system memory stress test in the everest i hear some strange sound from the mobo ,like one capacitor is gone bad , could that be the problem ? should i change my mobo ? and if yes,then with what mobo ?

buster89

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
basicly to make the story short ...

my ram overclocks to ddr1100 and my cpu overclocks fine to 3.1ghz but only sepparatly , when i oc my cpu and my ram at once the dont work so good anymore !!!

what could be the problem ??
pls HELP

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
So you've had the new RAM at 1100 C5 and CPU @ 3.1Ghz, what voltage? I'm guessing you can't lower the memory divider otherwise you could make do with the lower RAM clocks with a higher CPU frequency?

Have you tried removing one stick then the other?
Is the sound like a high pitch squealing? if it is most likely the mobo doesn't like your RAM, doubt it's rated for that high a RAM o/c.
If your thinking of a new mobo what are you looking for? Crossfire x2,x3,x4 etc.. otherwise i'd personally steer towards the DFI Lan Party DK 790FX-M2RS.

What PSU do you have and how old is it?

buster89

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
i've tried all that
the voltages on the memory were 2.1 all the time only the latency was changed to handle the high oc .
the cpu was prime stable at 3.1ghz and 1.45volts

i basicly need a good overclocking mobo , but below the 100$ mark, i dont realy have cash left for upgrading , ive recently bought my 2 gb vitesta ram and the 3850 powercolor PCS i wasn't expecting any trouble from my mobo in ocing

when the mobo was new the ram was at 1020 and the cpu at 2.98ghz and the ram got unstable and i thought that the ram sticks were the cause but only now i see that the mobo or cpu is my problem ! :(

for the mobo i was thinking of the MSI AMD 790X mobo ,or the ASUS amd770 +sb700

i am a big fan of DFI and ABIT . but in this area DFIi mobo's az all for intel(this one i've bought from the only shop that had DFI mobos for AMD and they had only 5 pieces in total ) and ABIT from what i've read is closing it's doors
i ain't gonna by a mobo that has no real support or bios updates ,

this MSI looks to be the best deal for me :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130172

please post your opinion or recomend a mobo for AM2 socket and if possible with AMD chipset !!
Thanx

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
I owned the previous model of the MSI you linked... MSI K9A Platinum and found it to be a fairly good overclocker, however I have been reading about the K9A2, not to put you off but seems some people aren't having an easy time with it.

Though from the sounds of your experience level you should be able to sort it no probs tiz normally slightly inexperienced users tinkering for the first time :).

To be honest after going through newegg i can't see a much better deal than the MSI K9A2 CF-F V2. Gives you room for expansion, but unfortunately may give you trouble if your after over 800 Mhz RAM on an AM2 CPU. However, the AMD 780G's with only 1x PCI-E x16 have the 1066 RAM std.

The FX series is the best overclocker ie the DFI LANPARTY DK 790FX-M2RS at $96 only has the SB 600 and suggests only 800Mhz Ram, but we all know DFI are better known for there advanced ram tweakage :).

Here's a link to a FX shootout review: http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?cid=6&id=2502&pg=7

Also maybe have a look at the Biostar http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138128, it has the advanced SB750, 1066RAM std and two PCI-E slots, at just under $100.

*Edit* I mentioned PSU because you've recently upgraded your GFX card and while it will work fine applying overclocks obviously adds to the power draw. I found this out on my 6000+ rig when i bought two 3870's, I could either overclock the the CPU or the GFX or the RAM, but none of them all together!

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
The 3850 just itself req's 195 watts load with 89Watts load from the 90nm 4000 x2. As you can work out thats 284W total before you start overclocking. Then you look at the 430W PSU review and se it can only reach around 355W.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/332/6

Now i can't for the life of me find the overclocking wattage calculator atm, but just by looking at those figures you can tell your cutting it fine with only two of the components put in the equation, then you have to take into account the age of the PSU itself as the wattage rating degrades yearly.

I would consider maybe that if the new mobo doesn't work out for you a better PSU would/could fix your problem... you may only req just the PSU alone and not the mobo.

This is purely personal advice and entirely up to you in the end.

buster89

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
that 195watts for the 3850 is just purely BS , it has a peak of ~90watts and the procc is a brisbane 65watts , the psu is more than enough for my sistem , ( i meantioned before that my TWV Total Watts Viewer shows 150 watts at peak ,the psu has an efficiency of 70% , thats roughly 200Watts peak power consumption at max overclock )

i deffenetly state that the the problem is not the psu , and to give facts too , i had an overclocked venice on a noname 400 w psu , and another fact is that my ram started to act strangli as the time passed , een before i had the 3850 ( before i had a 2600pro )

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
I'm not going to agrue my point, but use the PSU calculator (found it) given in the PSU sticky in the CPU section... I averaged at 285W with a one year old PSU and your PC components (+ added req'd ones) this would rule out the PSU. Also it helps it's a Tier 3 PSU which means it's stability "shouldn't" cause your components to degrade to badly.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

It'll be interesting what your results are with the new mobo. Keep us up to date with the fix because this symptom could very well happen to someone else (no doubt me :sarcastic:).