Sign in with
Your question

Newcomer and New Build Quey

Last response: in Systems
June 19, 2008 8:18:11 AM

Hi everyone,

A few folks suggested coming over here to these forums for some sound and courteous advice on a new PC I am building.

This will actually be the first PC I have built in over 10 years so I know a lot has changed and I have been buying off the shelf pc's since then.

However, I am hoping to restart my old hobby with the hope of building a pc that will run Age of Conan and Crysis at pretty top end quality.

Unfortunately for me I live in the UK so one of few places that I have found that seem to be able to deliver all the various parts seems to be AWD-IT.co.uk so the components I am posting below all come from there.

If any of you would have the time to look over this and give me some advice I would truly appreciate it.

Many thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro CPU Cooler - Socket LGA775

Intel Core 2 DUO E8400 3.00 GHz 6MB Cache 1333FSB Socket LGA775

Corsair TX 750W Ultra Quiet PSU SLI & Crossfire Ready

Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 Intel X48 Crossfire DDR3 Motherboard

Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB SATA II 32MB Cache

Corsair 4GB 2x 2GB PC8500 Dual Channel DDR2 XMS-2-8500 Dominator TwinX

Antec Twelve Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case

Asus Nvidia GeForce EN8800GTS-HTDP-512M 8800 GTS 512MB GDDR3 PCI

Samsung SH-S203P SATA Lightscribe 20x Dual layer DVD±RW Black

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More about : newcomer build quey

June 19, 2008 8:46:05 AM

DepthCharge said:
Hi everyone,

A few folks suggested coming over here to these forums for some sound and courteous advice on a new PC I am building.

This will actually be the first PC I have built in over 10 years so I know a lot has changed and I have been buying off the shelf pc's since then.

However, I am hoping to restart my old hobby with the hope of building a pc that will run Age of Conan and Crysis at pretty top end quality.

Unfortunately for me I live in the UK so one of few places that I have found that seem to be able to deliver all the various parts seems to be AWD-IT.co.uk so the components I am posting below all come from there.

If any of you would have the time to look over this and give me some advice I would truly appreciate it.

Many thanks.

Gigabyte GA-X48T-DQ6 Intel X48 Crossfire DDR3 Motherboard

Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB SATA II 32MB Cache

Corsair 4GB 2x 2GB PC8500 Dual Channel DDR2 XMS-2-8500 Dominator TwinX

Antec Twelve Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case

Asus Nvidia GeForce EN8800GTS-HTDP-512M 8800 GTS 512MB GDDR3 PCI

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer

Nice set up m8. :)  The motherboard you chose though is massive overkill unless you plan on running dual ATI cards. This board below is the new P45 boards, and it's a good overclocker, has great cooling , and it is packed with extra's...stuff you may never use, but it's there to brag about anyways. :D  Also this motherboard comes with great sound...onboard sound has changed alot since you built your last rig. You may want to hold off on getting that sound card until you try out the sound on this motherboard first. These new motherboards are comming out with better sound than some of the add on cards these days.

Also your PSU is overkill unless you plan on running dual vid cards. That 650 down below is more than enough to push that rig of yours and then some....

http://www.awd-it.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=43... £90.42
Asus P5Q Pro Intel P45 DDR2 Crossfire Motherboard - Socket LGA775 (8221413241)

http://www.awd-it.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=34... £55.17
Corsair TX 650W Ultra Quiet PSU SLI & Crossfire Ready Power Supply (74153376653)
June 19, 2008 9:39:55 AM

Also, if you do decide on the GA-X48T-DQ6 motherboard, it is a DDR3 board, and won't be able to use the DDR2 memory you listed.

I'm sure the error was just a typo, but in case it wasn't, just had to point it out. :) 

Best of luck!
Related resources
June 19, 2008 10:34:07 AM

You shouldn't take a creative sound card if you are using vista. Not sure if they fixed their drvers, but last time i checked they were buggy. Plus, onboard sound is pretty good like why_me said.
+1 for the other stuff he said too :p 
June 19, 2008 12:07:09 PM

Many, many thanks for such prompt replies.

It was very interesting reading about the onboard sound of these new motherboards as well, I had no idea how much that has all changed.

Also well spotted on the DDR3 motherboard - I cannot believe I made that mistake!

After some more digging about I have changed the components for my current "idea". The main difference is I have switched the motherboard to a DDR2 one and slapped in another 4 Gig of RAM for running on Vista64.

I opted to take the advice regarding the sound card.

I also decided to opt for a Zalman CPU cooler, and dropped the 1200 case for the 900 series.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Asus P5Q-E Intel P45 DDR2 Crossfire Motherboard - Socket LGA775

Corsair 4GB 2x 2GB PC8500 Dual Channel DDR2 XMS-2-8500 Dominator TwinX - TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF

Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB SATA II 32MB

Antec Nine Hundred Ultimate Gamer Case

XFX GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB DDR3 PCI-Express White

Zalman CNPS9700-LED Super Aero Flower (Socket LGA775, AM2, 754, 939, 940)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am hoping that at some point I would be able to purchase another XFX GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB card (especially since I am assuming prices will drop in the next few months) and SLI these up.

That is something I am very unclear on, would this motherboard enable me to do so at a later date?

If anyone has any tips or suggestion on these components I really would be most grateful to hear from you.

I am trying to stick to a budget of around the £900.00 (UK) and this currently falls in at £874.85

Anyone got any idea on how well this thing would run games like Crysis/Age of Conan and maybe something I could potentially change to really get the best set-up on this budget?

Many thanks for all the help so far folks, its actually quite exciting getting back into all of this!
June 19, 2008 12:26:11 PM

Dang, do not think I can edit my message.

I left in the older ASUS motherboard there instead of the nVidia one which is the one I think will allow me to SLI later on.

I'll go dig up the one I opted for, very sorry about that...
June 19, 2008 12:32:10 PM

...it was the

Asus P5N-T Deluxe Nvidia 780i SLI DDR2 ATX Motherboard - Socket LGA775

I am under the impression this would potentially allow for 3 of the XFX GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB to be installed and thus the 750W power supply I chose.

How on earth you'd get 3 cards on that thing those is beyond me looking at it...
!