Sign in with
Your question

[CPU] Thinking about OC my Qx9650

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 7, 2008 12:55:43 AM

Well Atm im fine with the stock speed but i would like to OC for testing pourposes and if it shows stable i would leave it OCd.

i would like to hear some experiened users opinions about OCing my Procesor.

this its my system

Qx9650 Procesor
Asus P53E Deluxe Motherboard
2 x 1 GB DDR3-1066 DDR3 SDRAM (7-7-7-20 @ 533 MHz) (6-6-6-18 @ 457 MHz)
NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX/9800 GTX+ (512 MB)
2 x 250 GB caviar HD 7200 with 16mb cache
CPU cooler Thermaltake V1 12CM Fan 2000+ RPM
Tsunami Dream Case with 3 Fans:

12 cm on front input
12 cm on back output
8cm side input

on stock my procesor idles at 36c and my motherboard idles at 41

also would like to hear some sugestions like what software i should use to monitor etc im currently using assus probe II

Thx in Advance!! :hello: 

More about : cpu thinking qx9650

August 7, 2008 1:03:13 AM

You can use the latest CoreTemp or RealTemp to monitor temps.

You could probably work the FSB up to 400 to get a final CPU operating frequency of 3.2 GHz by with little or no voltage increase on the NB and CPU. You'd have to use a 3:4 memory divider to get the RAM running at 533 MHz.

Test for stability by running Prime95 and various other benchmarking utilities.
August 7, 2008 1:07:05 AM

cusideabelincoln said:
You can use the latest CoreTemp or RealTemp to monitor temps.

You could probably work the FSB up to 400 to get a final CPU operating frequency of 3.2 GHz by with little or no voltage increase on the NB and CPU. You'd have to use a 3:4 memory divider to get the RAM running at 533 MHz.

Test for stability by running Prime95 and various other benchmarking utilities.

thx thats some valuable info, i was wondering how to know each core temp.

and btw what do i need to reach 4ghz on this procesor?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2008 1:44:07 AM

To reach 4 Ghz, Raise the multiplier to 12-13, Aslong as the voltage is in auto it should raise the voltrage to make it stable. Then you can adjust the voltage to find the lowest voltage that its stable at 4 Ghz. Best rule of thumb is see what voltage the BIOS sets in AUTO. Then work your way down.

You can also raise the FBS from stock to 400 and put the multiplier to 10. When you adjust the FBS you may have to change the memory ratio so you donot overclock you RAM beyond stable range.

The QX9650 is a great CPU, My Friend has his stable at 4038(425X9.5) on the MSI P7N Diamond.

You can run some benchmarks at 333X12, 400X10, 425X9.5 450X9 and see what setting gets the best performance for you.

Use OCCT or Prime95 st check stability and use Realtemp to keep a eye on the CPU temps.

1Haplo
August 7, 2008 1:57:22 AM

1haplo said:
To reach 4 Ghz, Raise the multiplier to 12-13, Aslong as the voltage is in auto it should raise the voltrage to make it stable. Then you can adjust the voltage to find the lowest voltage that its stable at 4 Ghz. Best rule of thumb is see what voltage the BIOS sets in AUTO. Then work your way down.

You can also raise the FBS from stock to 400 and put the multiplier to 10. When you adjust the FBS you may have to change the memory ratio so you donot overclock you RAM beyond stable range.

The QX9650 is a great CPU, My Friend has his stable at 4038(425X9.5) on the MSI P7N Diamond.

You can run some benchmarks at 333X12, 400X10, 425X9.5 450X9 and see what setting gets the best performance for you.

Use OCCT or Prime95 st check stability and use Realtemp to keep a eye on the CPU temps.

1Haplo

thx a lot, do u think my temps are good to try anyting?

Procesor idles at 36c (can reach 29 with air conditioner on)
my motherboard idles at 41
August 7, 2008 2:10:11 AM

LOL, I calculated my figures thinking you had a Q9450 instead of a QX9650. The Q9450's multiplier is stuck at 8 or lower. Reaching 4 GHz with the QX950 would be much easier since you can adjust the multiplier to whatever you want.

Here's what you should do:

Keep the FSB at 333 MHZ, minimum. Set the multiplier to 10X. Test for system stability using Prime95 - let it run for 4-8 hours. Then just raise your multiplier by the smallest amount and test using Prime each time. If you notice instability, then start increasing the voltage to the processor. At a 333 MHZ FSB you probably wouldn't need to change the the voltage to the chipset or RAM.

Another alternative is to keep the multiplier at 10x. Start the FSB at 333 MHz and slowly raise it, in 5-10 MHZ increments, until you reach 4 GHz. Don't forget to test for stability, and if you notice instability first increase the processor voltage and then increase the chipset/northbridge/MCH voltage.

If you take the overclocking slowly and only change one thing at a time you can keep track of what exactly is becoming unstable. When you increase the FSB you are putting extra "pressure" on not only the processor, but the motherboard and RAM. Your RAM is highly rated, so you can use a 1:1 divider and not have to worry about it (the RAM) being the culprit.

Oh and your temperatures are perfectly fine. To be safe, you should try to keep the load temperatures under 70-75C.
August 7, 2008 2:14:25 AM

mine runs 4oofsb at 10 = 4.1ghz it should be 4ghz but hey what can i say?

1.45v

optimal multipler on all c2d is 9-11 not 12 or higher - raise your fsb - you get more benift

if you want 4.2-4.5ghz then raise the multipler to 11
August 7, 2008 3:35:14 AM

thx a lot, to all lot for the attention il try it
August 7, 2008 5:23:39 AM

Firstly don't take overclocking advice from fools. Use real temp to check your temp's and check the sensors, more than likely at least one will be stuck, don't worry unless the temp doesn't go up when your overclocking. The last version of core temp I used was 10c over. If your ambient temprature is cool, your temps should be alot lower than 36c.
Secondly you can't simply keep overvolting the cpu if things get unstable, more often than not with the QX9650 it's something else that needs attention.
Thirdly work out a way to get you FSB higher first, for example if you get to 450Mhz then you can leave your multi at 9 to give you 4.05Ghz. If you look at your load on the cpu during the day you will notice it the core speed go up without the cpu being even 80% loaded, so why have a high core speed if your system can't feed the cpu? If the system becomes unstable don't forget to overvolt the MCH or northbridge, that's often the first culprit. Don't up the PCI bus unless all else is stable.
Fourthly try dynamically overclocking your cpu , that way it will run in the range between 2Ghz and 4Ghz, if you hard clock it, it will jump from 2 to 4Ghz straight away. That's a waste of energy and the less cycle variations the better for the life of your cpu.
Generally the stock cooler with the QX9650 should take you to around 4.2-4.5Ghz, from there it's a new cooler. How do I know, I have a QX9650, great choice you made, take care of it.
!