Intel motherboard suddenly stops

zillah

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I have got this motherboard : Intel Desktop Board D860PERL,,,,,,I just tried to change the case for it, now it does not work.

I unplug all the cables (CD and HD ,,the FAN does not spin (some time just start to spin and then stops) . I removed the cmos battery does not fix the issue.

I tried another power supply same thing still going on.

I have got another motherboard it behaved same thing with both power supplies? I do not know if I did something wrong with cablings ?

For the CPU fan to work (testing) do we need to connect the cables to a front panel jumper,,,,,I do not thing so,,,,,but I did connect them

I took the motherboard out the case (It might be shorting against the case) but that did not change the issue that I am experiencing

Well first off I have to ask, so don't flame me, I have seen the very same thing talked about on these forums. Are there standoffs under the motherboard? Like I said, I've seen someone on these very forums do this, so I had to ask. A simple yes / no will work.

If yes, then it seems to me that if you have two motherboards, and two PSU's doing the same thing, it can't be either. Make sure you have the CPU 12V connector plugged in.

If you've gone through all the cabling and you haven't forgotten to plug anything in, then it could be an add-in card or RAM. Try booting with the bare minimum. All power cables hooked up, one stick of RAM , CPU and that's it. Leave any add-in cards including video out of the system for now. Also don't connect any of your drives HDD or optical that includes power to them as well.

If you power up and the CPU fan ect start to spin (hopefully you'll hear a beep code corresponding to a missing video card), then you can start adding things back in until it fails.

Hopefully that gets you started.