Sign in with
Your question

fitting the Accelero S1 Rev.2 in ATI 4850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 7, 2008 2:41:07 AM

alright, so here is my new project. and gonna update it with pics, but first i need to ask questions.

1- i heard the thermal pads in the ram sinks are not good. which type is good one so i can buy (dont tell me something very expensive).

2-since the one i bought is kinda old (accelero). and i need to cool down the PWM. so ill need to get more ram sinks, probably the smaller sized ones the zalman. so the question= the stock thermal pad in zalman any good or bad as well?

3- when removing the Stock cooler from gpu, will cleaning with loads of tissue will be enough (cleaning the card)? or i need some liqueds (which i dont have anything right now)

4- ill clear the stock thermal paste from the accelero, so again, use tissue?

more pics and details to come.
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2008 2:58:40 AM

1. Yeah, they're junk, but I used some TX2 and a dot of superglue in the corner and now they stay on really well...

3 and 4 . You will need some 92% isopropol alcohol to do a really good job. I bought mine at Kroger.
Related resources
July 7, 2008 3:46:44 AM

^ im using that as a refrence, and the other anandtech forum one. as well.

nvalhalla said:
1. Yeah, they're junk, but I used some TX2 and a dot of superglue in the corner and now they stay on really well...

3 and 4 . You will need some 92% isopropol alcohol to do a really good job. I bought mine at Kroger.

if using the superglue, wont be difficult to remove them later on? i have the zalman GS1 grease, should that be fine as well if i used superglue?
July 20, 2008 2:56:58 PM

alright. so here are the updates.

i cleaned up the stock thermal grease that comes with the Accelero S1, and added the zalman GS1 one. why? cause i have it in my cpu, n i would love to make a combo, lol.

the pics are as follows

^stuff that were used in this operation. :) 

^nice naked card

added the heat sinks. on the Rams are all zalman, while the PWM are covered by the ones that comes with Accelero S1, i just had to press them for like 30-40sec to make sure they did infact set right. and after i pluged the card, i just stressed it with some gaming.

the card in my pc. i dont have the tourbo thing, what to do?

that fans push the cold air towards the gpu. ill fix it later, but right now. it is doing what it is supposed to do.

temp? u wanna temp? im getting 35-36C on idle for my gpu. while my other stuff are around 45. have a look.

load temp (taking while playing crysis on very high ( using that patching thing) on xp.

keep in mind, i have oc my card using the ati over drive. to run at 690Mhz core, and 1050Mhz Memory.
July 21, 2008 2:02:46 AM

beautiful, nice job!
July 21, 2008 4:08:02 AM

the temps seem stable. n for a fan to be fit like that, i think it should do the trick. im still thinking of how to make the fan stable without me taking the gpu out.
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2008 2:38:16 PM

neat. so adding the 2 turbo fans + that gigantic 120mm will turn that 4850 into ice. still a lot of headroom for 700/1100 i think.
July 21, 2008 3:10:11 PM

besically it dropped the temp from the usual 80c+ to 37 idle. and load of 90c to 45c. that of course im comparing old temp (stock), with new temp (oc'ed)

i dont think ill buy the turbo fans. the 120mm is just doing it more than fine as it seems.

plus, ill get to overclock it even more. i let auto tune to find me some point. n while it took me some time im a guy who cant wait. so i decided to just take that (690/1050) which was found by auto tune, n i cancelled further tunning.

problem is, it seems that 3dmark2006 just cant run on my xp. while the vista (vantage)one wont give me real pointers. :S not sure what wrong im doing with vantage
!