Sign in with
Your question

PNY NVIDIA SLI GeForce 8800gt monitor overscan

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 7, 2008 3:29:01 AM

This is my first post here and I admit to being essentially a neophyte. While I have built my own machines by putting cards in and hooking up power supplies, that is the extent of my knowledge. That said, I have an issue I have seen asked about dating back for a year and no clear answer for all in any forums.

I have the following problem and after talking to Viewsonic for an hour, they said it is an "overscan" issue wit the image being to big. Essentially, the image in and inch too large all around the screen.

Viewsonic 28" VX2835wm LCD
MB: Abit AL8
4 GB RAM
PCI Express graphics
PNY NVIDIA SLI GeForce 8800gt XLR8 Performance Edition 512MB

I have the choice of S-Video or HDMI and I am using the later. The Viewsonics tech said it made no sense to use S-Video

The Viewsonic features that would allow me to size the image and position it are grayed out, which the tech believes happens with an HDMI connection and their screens.

Set to Full Screen I cannot get the task bar as the entire screen has an image. Set to 16:9 I will get a slight black area at top and bottom that has icons cut in half and just be able to grab a bit of the Start menu to load a program. But the programs extend beyond the screen and the Explorer pages cannot be resized since I can't reach any buttons.

I read of complaints of this a year ago and a only a few people managed to get their problem resolved. The one link that seemed to help some people from NVIDIA is now a dead link and searching "oversize" at their site yields no information.

I also see that it says PCI Express 2.0 although I have no idea if that means the problem is non-compliance with the MB. I brought my manual with me to BestBuy and the salesman said it would be fine.

I'd appreciate if someone could tell me if there is a fix for this, or if it a problem with some configurations and I should return the card to BestBuy as I purchased it yesterday.

I'm willing to spend up to $300 for a card so if this needs to be returned and someone can recommend something that they know works and is stable I'd appreciate it.

Also, at the max resolution words are not sharp and have some coloration to them. There is one power supply to the board and I have put power to it.

Thanks in advance,
MW

p.s. I called PNY this afternoon and they said to leave a message and phone number. I thought I'd get a call as they were open (they didn't say they had only certain hours) but 10 hours have passed now and I have not been called. Viwesonic, on the other hand, responed to my e-mail in 2 hours and said to call on Sunday.

p.p.s. My primary use right now will be playing "Call of Duty". I have no ide of what peripheral to use with that so any suggestions as to what card as well as input device would also be welcomed. Thank you.
July 7, 2008 6:41:45 AM

Is this an HDTV, my guess it is. Nvidia has been known to have issues with some HDTVs (mine included). You have two solutions, you can set a custom resolution using the "Resize my desktop" feature, but the problem with this is that many games, especially older ones, don't support said custom reslolution. The seconds solution is to get an ATI video card, that's what I did after not being able to play some of the games I own at native res. I sold my 8800GT and bought a HD 3850, which allowed me to display at native res without overscan.
July 7, 2008 6:59:29 AM

It is not an HDTV. I just got off the phone with a coputer engineer I know. He said that since the NVidia software manager is setting it to a resolution of 1920x1200 resolution ( the highest specs for the monitor) there is a problem with the monitor and the card "shaking hands". The quality at all levels of resolution I can get it at looks awful and he doubts that a software patch exists. Searching Viewsonic, NVidia, and PNY for "8800gt oversize" yields nothing. As I said, I saw some screaming a year ago about this monitor and how despite being aware of it, NVidia has not made them work. I was hoping I'd find some insight here, and still do!

Thanks,
MW
Related resources
July 7, 2008 7:18:46 AM

This doesn't make a lot of sense MikeWalsh, because if it doesn't have a DVI connector and it connects only through HDMI/Svideo that does duefully mean that it is classically not a computer monitor... -_-

I'm assuming you are hooking the "Monitor" up to your pc through an HDMI->DVI adapter as i've never heard of an 8800 GT with an onboard HDMI connector; this is likely the problem. There is likely nothing wrong with your gpu or your "monitor", but rather a problem with translating DVI to HDMI through an adapter is creating this overscan problem.

The only thing I could think of you trying is using an actual HDMI/DVI converter instead of using an adapter (i'm still assuming you are using an adapter) - or you could actually buy a computer monitor with a DVI connector which is standard....
July 7, 2008 7:21:39 AM

http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcddisplays/xseries/v...

Okay MikeWalsh, here is what I really don't understand - if this monitor has a DVI connection which from this webpage it claims to, then why are you using the HDMI instead of the DVI to connect to your PC?

Does your graphics card HAVE an HDMI port on it or are you using an adapter????
July 7, 2008 4:31:17 PM

ovaltineplease said:
http://www.viewsonic.com/products/lcddisplays/xseries/v...

Okay MikeWalsh, here is what I really don't understand - if this monitor has a DVI connection which from this webpage it claims to, then why are you using the HDMI instead of the DVI to connect to your PC?

Does your graphics card HAVE an HDMI port on it or are you using an adapter????

THANK YOU...THANK YOU...THANK YOU!!!!!

For "search" purposes for others:
Viewsonic VX2835m to 8800gt (8800 GT) now works !

You should work at Viewsonic instead of the young man who kept placing me on hold. 5 hours of my life were wasted ion this!

You should work at Viewsonic instead of the young man who kept placing me on hold. 5 hours of my life were wasted on this!

I told him a short S-Video cable as well as two adapters are in the box and he said the best quality was HDMI and to go straight to the card with the cable from that. I told him the cable fit but the manual said it was DVI and he said that was fine. My engineer friend was the one (at 3 AM) who asked if there was supposed to be a cable conversion? Now, my only question to PNY is if there is a conversion cable for the HDMI and if it will look better. The two converters supplied are the same as this card has dual monitor output.

The only setting that generated anything was HDMI when using the buttons on the Viewsonic machine. BZZZT...I just ran the cable from "D-sub" with a converter into the DVI port on the card and all is well.

Thanks so much! That was great of you to go to the Veiwsonic link and diagnosis this. Much appreciated!

BTW, the connection on the back are marked "D-Sub", "HDMI", and RCA plugs for line in and video in. I'm guessing "D-sub" is correlated/synonymous with "DVI". Also, for the benefit of anyone search later for an answer, the Viewsonic button pops up a monitor selection of:

D-Sub
AV
S-Video
YPbPR
HDMI

Out of curiosity, would you know if getting the HDMI converted to the DVI would improve graphics any? I've not loaded "Call of Duty" right now to see what it looks like.

Semper Fi!
MW
August 11, 2008 4:57:14 PM

Dear MikeWalsh:

I have the same problem with my 260 GTX and mi vx2835 display (I didn't have it before even using 8800 gtx, 8800 gt, 8800 gt 512 and radeon 4870), an yes the problem resolves using the D-sub (analog) connection but the image quality it's no so good, answering the previous post the monitor doesn't have a DVI input just HDMI or analog D-sub to connect it to the computer, I 've searched the internet for possible solutions I hope I coul fix this, I'll post later my results
September 2, 2008 7:50:56 AM

testing...
!