Sign in with
Your question

How do I monitor my SB temps

Last response: in Overclocking
May 29, 2009 7:09:28 PM

If in the future I was to buy a better CPU cooler, what software can I use to monitor my Asus Maximus Formula's SB. I know I can use the Asus software but a few people have told me to keep away from it as it causes problems. I know that my SB has ran hot in the past so I really need to keep an eye on it.

Also what cooler would you guys recommend for a Q9450 in an Antec Twelve Hundred case? I've only bought one CPU fan in my life so have no idea whats the idea price to spend on these.

Thanks for anyone who can help.

More about : monitor temps

a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2009 12:25:31 AM

The only program I know of is Everest. Its a paid app, if you don't have it just download the beta or trial so you can check your temps. See the Northbridge (SPP) and Southbridge (MCP) temps.
May 30, 2009 2:02:48 AM

Well you can get an alright cooler for $20-30 ish... The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 is a very good cooler for around that price, and if you are willing to spend lots of money, you can get a Coolermaster v8 or v10, both being quite new to the market.
Related resources
May 30, 2009 3:21:16 AM

Asus Probe II is actually not bad. Also how much do you want to spend on the cooler?
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2009 3:32:58 AM

ragsters said:
Asus Probe II is actually not bad. Also how much do you want to spend on the cooler?

Do your ASUS Probe show your NB & SB? Mine don't, the last time I seen the NB & SB temps were when I had my 650i. I even tried older versions, no go. I currently have a 750i & 780i and neither show the NB & SB temps. If know something I don't please share those features are missed.
May 30, 2009 5:55:51 PM

Taking the motherboard out would be a right pain. Do the better heatsink fans require you to do this? (I would guess so with the size of them). Are there any that are good and don't require you to do this. I'll spend around £30 on one. Unless a few pounds more provides alot more cooling.
May 30, 2009 6:31:39 PM

Ok cheers I'll look into that. I'll need a really good fan to Overclock because after 3 minutes of prime 95 I'm getting 76,71,74,74C on real temp 2.5 (TJ max 95) and thats stock speed :( 
May 30, 2009 7:01:54 PM

Cheers, that heatsink fan seems to get good reviews from people and is only £15 in the UK so thats half of what I was going to spend.
May 30, 2009 7:05:04 PM

starams5 said:
Do your ASUS Probe show your NB & SB? Mine don't, the last time I seen the NB & SB temps were when I had my 650i. I even tried older versions, no go. I currently have a 750i & 780i and neither show the NB & SB temps. If know something I don't please share those features are missed.

My motherboard is an Intel so maybe the AMD ones don't have that option for some reason. So if there is no free option I guess I'll have to use the Asus software. Have you guys had any problems with it in the past?
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2009 7:11:46 PM

I'm running Intel as well an E6850 and E8500. Maybe it varies from board to board I don't know, but it cool to open the probe and see those features while setting up your OC, thanks.
May 30, 2009 7:22:23 PM

Sorry, I was referring to the chipset. My bad, Nvidia not AMD.
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2009 7:35:45 PM

Dark Comet said:
Sorry, I was referring to the chipset. My bad, Nvidia not AMD.

A buddy I thought of that to, my last 3 chipsets have been nVidia and as I stated above it worked on my older nVidia chipset 650i. But I was thinking maybe it has something to do with the 7xx chipset because I can't use the HDD SMART feature either. I looked into it although I don't remember the details but the nVidia chipset limits monitoring certain motherboard features. I put the question to the guys at the ASUS forum as well and got nothing, you were my last hope...... :cry: 
May 30, 2009 7:46:24 PM

Ah sorry not much I can say there. Have you emailed ASUS? It would be strange if the guys at ASUS didn't know why their software does not fully work with their motherboard. I don't see why they would limit that :( 
a b V Motherboard
May 30, 2009 7:51:36 PM

"you were my last hope......" I was just joking with you. I just did like I always do adapt to the situation and move on. Kind of like going from an old OS to a new one and finding your favorite software don't work anymore. Thanks and take care.
May 30, 2009 9:38:35 PM

Dark Comet said:
If in the future I was to buy a better CPU cooler, what software can I use to monitor my Asus Maximus Formula's SB. I know I can use the Asus software but a few people have told me to keep away from it as it causes problems. I know that my SB has ran hot in the past so I really need to keep an eye on it.

Also what cooler would you guys recommend for a Q9450 in an Antec Twelve Hundred case? I've only bought one CPU fan in my life so have no idea whats the idea price to spend on these.

Thanks for anyone who can help.

I use a Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 and my Q9450 @3.3GHZ runs at 57 C after 24 hours of Prime 95. It runs at 58 C after 2 hours of OCCT with Linpack
May 31, 2009 3:21:08 PM

pajama said:
I use a Artic Cooling Freezer Pro 7 and my Q9450 @3.3GHZ runs at 57 C after 24 hours of Prime 95. It runs at 58 C after 2 hours of OCCT with Linpack

Great, do you remember what your stock cooling was like? I heard that the Q9XXX fans were worse then the Q6XXX so maybe a fan upgrade will sort me out.

starams5 said:
"you were my last hope......" I was just joking with you. I just did like I always do adapt to the situation and move on. Kind of like going from an old OS to a new one and finding your favorite software don't work anymore. Thanks and take care.

Yeah thanks for the help. Do you just ignore your SB temps now?
a b V Motherboard
May 31, 2009 3:29:58 PM

Dark Comet said:
Great, do you remember what your stock cooling was like? I heard that the Q9XXX fans were worse then the Q6XXX so maybe a fan upgrade will sort me out.

Yeah thanks for the help. Do you just ignore your SB temps now?

See my 1st post at the top. I wish I could ignore it, I run my NB & SB at 1.60v for a stable OC.
!