Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

remote assistance request received by email.
opened the attachment.
entered password.
error Received = " Remote Assistance connection could not be
established because the remote host name could not be resolved. Please
try again."
what exactly is meant by REMOTE HOST NAME.
can someone please tell me what is going wrong and how to correct it.
Thanks
Pete

Hi Pete,

Right click the file, use 'open with' and select a text editor (notepad will
do). Look at the IP address on the RCTICKET line. This must point to the IP
of the person you are trying to reach. If they are behind a firewall, they
may need to open port 3389. If they are behind a router, then they need to
give you the address that the router is using to connect, the ticket would
be created with their 192.168.x.x address (local). You will need to change
this. They can get the correct address by logging into the router and
looking at the WAN settings. If no router, then have them run ipconfig /all
and look at the gateway address.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"pete" <loopy@loopy.com> wrote in message
> remote assistance request received by email.
> opened the attachment.
> entered password.
> error Received = " Remote Assistance connection could not be
> established because the remote host name could not be resolved. Please
> try again."
> what exactly is meant by REMOTE HOST NAME.
> can someone please tell me what is going wrong and how to correct it.
> Thanks
> Pete

Pete

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 06:09:37 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
<rick@mvps.org> wrote:

>Hi Pete,
>
>Right click the file, use 'open with' and select a text editor (notepad will
>do). Look at the IP address on the RCTICKET line. This must point to the IP
>of the person you are trying to reach. If they are behind a firewall, they
>may need to open port 3389. If they are behind a router, then they need to
>give you the address that the router is using to connect, the ticket would
>be created with their 192.168.x.x address (local). You will need to change
>this. They can get the correct address by logging into the router and
>looking at the WAN settings. If no router, then have them run ipconfig /all
>and look at the gateway address.
Nick,Thanks for your reply, but I am sorry that I do not understand
what file you are talking about. Perhaps it's because i am a thick
OAP. Do you think you could enlighten me a bit more.?
Thanks
Pete

Malke

pete wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 06:09:37 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
> <rick@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Hi Pete,
>>
>>Right click the file, use 'open with' and select a text editor
>>(notepad will do). Look at the IP address on the RCTICKET line. This
>>must point to the IP of the person you are trying to reach. If they
>>are behind a firewall, they may need to open port 3389. If they are
>>behind a router, then they need to give you the address that the
>>router is using to connect, the ticket would be created with their
>>192.168.x.x address (local). You will need to change this. They can
>>get the correct address by logging into the router and looking at the
>>WAN settings. If no router, then have them run ipconfig /all and look
>>at the gateway address.
> Nick,Thanks for your reply, but I am sorry that I do not understand
> what file you are talking about. Perhaps it's because i am a thick
> OAP. Do you think you could enlighten me a bit more.?
> Thanks
> Pete

The email - Rick means you need to right-click the email file so you can
see what IP address is there.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers