Quick Question about speakers

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I'm a little puzzled and was curious. I was going to replace my speakers and was wondering how to be able to use Dolby Digital and/or EAXHD. Is this only activated when you are using a home theatre that is connected to the TV? Is anolog the only option for use with the PC? I have a Soundblaster X-FI XM edition and was thinking of going to the Fatality series. This is for my gaming PC.

( I was thinking of doing some upgrades because I have the itch to build another computer. I was looking at the E8500 or Q9XXX with a 4870. Right now I have a E6300 with a x1900xtx)

belo

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
You can run analog to your receiver, and then allow your receiver to decode the analog signal. Now this only going to work if your receiver has the ability to decode/encode dts/dobly digital etc.

Or, the best option is to go from digital leaving your card to a digital input in your receiver. There's no need to connect your home theater to a tv.

I've had a home theatre connected to my pc for over 3 years. I ran analog from my soundcard to my receiver and because it's capable the receiver turns those analog signals to digital and I get surround sound.

Had my older receiver had a digital input, I'd certainly do that and utalize the sound cards decoding ability.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
How do I take advantage of Digital Sound, DTS, Dolby Digital, EAXHD for my computer games. I was looking into buying Logitech speaker system. either 2.1 or 5.1.

*Sorry If I misled you into thinking I was hooking it into my TV*

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
For movies if you get something like the Z-5500's youll only need to run a digital cable from your sound card to the Z-5500's you can either have your sound card or z-5500s do the decoding. As for gaming youll need to run the analogues to the z5500s i think.

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
Thanx for the all the input. Thanx Chookman. Any good speaker systems that match the Z5500 but less than the $400 price tag? I was looking at the 540 and the 2300. I was impressed with the Z5500 and its specifics but unimpressed with the price. BTW, do you hear a difference between digital and analog?

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Umm with anything lower than the z5500s you will sacrifice the decoding ability and possibly digital connectors.

Ummm whatever comes out of your speakers is analog anyways, just depends how many conversions and the quality of the converter it goes through to get there.

belo

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
you can also use a digitial coaxial or optical cable from (soundcard or onboard) for games.

My is onboard to my z550's currently via optical and it sounds great on hl2 and prey (2 games I've tested with). Full surround sound.