First boot...failed

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Hey guys.

Today I installed a new motherboard, CPU and RAM. Once I finished I began to plug in all the cables at the back of my PC. As i pressed the power switch on the back of my PSU, my computer turned itself on. I didn't even press the power button at the front of the case, which confused me a little.

Anyway, I wasn't really ready for a boot just yet. I had cables all over the place. The PC hummed away quite nicely and gave me a short beep to say everything was ok. I think something even flashed up on the screen but i had to turn my PC off again rather quickly - a cable was blocking the CPU fan. The strange part is that now my PC will not turn on at all. The only activity I can see is a small green light beneath the power on button at the front of my case. Pressing the power button does nothing.

Im going to say now that I'm not well experienced in motherboards, there may well have been errors with the cables - especially those small pins. Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem may be? It doesn't look good :(

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
courtney4 try checking the front panel header on the mobo to make sure all the cables are plugged up correctly,also check and make sure 4 pin cpu connector is plugged up correctly.those two would check first.hope this helps you

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
I had a similar problem with the last gigabyte board I bought. after clearing the CMOS I could get into the bios, but no further.

eventualy it did the auto on thing you are describing, s I pulled all the FP conectors to make sure a shorted wire wasn't the problem, no change.
so I RMA'd the board.

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Thanks major, I checked the front panel header and found that some of the labels on the pins were different that those in the manual. I changed them around and I manged to get power!

I have a new problem though, I managed to get to almost loading windows then my PC turned off. Turns out my CPU fan is not working! >.< I have made sure it is plugged into the 'cpu_fan' slot on the motherboard.

On power up and power down it will move very slightly, but not spin. I have checked that there are no obstructions. Im baffled by this!

retro77

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2007
With the fan being blocked before, you proably messed it up. If you manually spin it, will it it kick in after that?

time to buy a new fan!!

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Sorry guys, my mistake. It turns out there is some feature whereby the fan only spins when the CPU goes above a certain temperature. Unlike my old one which span all the time. I was getting worried and turning my PC off before it got a chance to heat up and spin!

It seems to be working perfectly now. However, every time i try and load windows - even in safe mode - I get a blue screen flash up quickly (no time to read it) and my PC restarts. Im fairly certain this is because my harddrive still thinks im using an AMD 4400+ rather than a Q6600. Do I have to reinstall windows or something?

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
courtney4 you have changed motherboard so you will have to reformat drive and reload os xp or vista.

Oh Snap
IF IT FAILED THEN HOW ARE YOU ONLINE POSTING HUH? CAUGHT IN YOUR WEB OF LIES.

maybe he's rich enough to have two pc 's in his home.hehehe

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
lol, more problems :(

If my machine is on for more than 15 mins it will restart itself. Then restart itsself again sooner and sooner.

I checked my temps - CPU was @ 50 degrees celcius, mobo at around 38. CPU seems a bit high for idle perhaps. Else I don't know what could be the cause

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Hmm I guess it could be. Though, i didn't have any problems with it on my old mobo/cpu. Perhaps my PSU is being pushed a bit to far.

I decided to try run my PC with only 2 sticks of RAM instead of 4, I also disabled a cd drive and a harddrive to reduce power consumption. Seems to be running ok....
..for now :p

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
courtney4 when you reinstall cpu did you reapply new heatsink compound,also is the heatsink push pins or clamp,also it would help us all if you tell us what is all in the pc.we can help you faster,cpu,ram mobo psu etc.hope this helps you out.and yes 50c on cpu is to high for me,my runs from idiol 37c to full load 42c on air.

courtney4

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
I took it out of the box and it had some heatsink compound already applied, I just put it straight down on the motherboard. I did, however, take it off again briefly if thats a problem, but I made sure to put it back in the same orientation and some of it had rubbed off already. The heatsink is just the one that came with it, It had 4 push pins which were a bitch to get in actually.

my specs are
4gb RAM
core 2 6600
gigabyte-GA-p35-DSEL mobo
x1900xt 512mb
I don't know much about my PSU, i posted a picture of its specs on here a few days ago but i can no longer find it. I was told that it would be suitable for the upgrade though :)

I upgraded from a ASUS a8n-sli deluxe mobo and a AMD x2 4400+ with 2gig RAM.

Btw, im actually posting on my PC atm, I managed to use ubuntu live CD and it seems like taking out some of the RAM/ or reducing power consumption has worked. Could bad RAM (or probably badly installed RAM lol) cause the problems i've been experiencing? I did the memtest on ubuntu liveCD and it came up with some errors so i thought id try with 2 RAM sticks ya see. I will try adding the sticks back later i guess.

Thanks for the help!

royalcrown

Distinguished

Un...no not always..I transferred my harddrive from and amd 2800 system to a new x2 5400 system and did not need to touch a thing.

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
If the mobo is using the same chipset then you can potentially get away without doing a reinstall (i think) but for the most part expect to format the hard drive and do a reinstall when your changing out mobo's