Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PCI vs. SATA SSDs?

Last response: in Storage
a b G Storage
October 15, 2009 7:15:18 AM

What particular advantages do SSDs that plug into PCI slots have over their SATA counterparts? More direct access to the motherboard / better throughput right?

More about : pci sata ssds

October 15, 2009 10:06:33 AM

can you link an example?
m
l
a b G Storage
October 15, 2009 10:27:42 AM

Sorry sorry, here's one.
m
l
Related resources
a c 127 G Storage
October 15, 2009 1:29:26 PM

Let's get this straight; its PCI-express or 3GIO; not PCI. Those two interfaces couldn't be different from eachother; they are the exacty opposite in numbers of ways.

Ive seen cheaper ones posted in these forums too, with PCIe x1 link. The wait is for good third-party SSD controllers, so we can use PCI-express as interface instead of SATA for our SSDs. It would make sense to do it via PCIe, especially if you're breaking the 1GB/s boundary which is great for marketing.

m
l
a b G Storage
October 16, 2009 6:32:12 AM

Thanks for clearing that up! So are you saying the best configuration is to still use SATA SSDs, but plug them into a PCIe RAID controller instead of the motherboard?
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 16, 2009 6:50:58 AM

Devices like the OCZ Z-drive which go into the pci-e slots are essentially tuned hardware raid controllers with SSD's attached. The manufacturers use the pci-e slot. (in the case of the Z-drive it's a 8x slot) to overcome the 3 Gb/s limit with the SATA interface. 3 Gb/s is about 300 MB/s where the z Drive does somwhere around 500+ MB/s of data throughput.
September 16, 2011 3:59:26 PM

PsyKhiqZero said:
Devices like the OCZ Z-drive which go into the pci-e slots are essentially tuned hardware raid controllers with SSD's attached. The manufacturers use the pci-e slot. (in the case of the Z-drive it's a 8x slot) to overcome the 3 Gb/s limit with the SATA interface. 3 Gb/s is about 300 MB/s where the z Drive does somwhere around 500+ MB/s of data throughput.

My question is, are there any configuration issues inherent with using PCIe SSD's as boot drives and is there anything to be gained by doing this? I have a friend that reads catalogs and then throws these types of configurations at me and honestly I don't see any gains.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 18, 2011 1:29:48 AM

As of right now there is no TRIM support for SSD's in a RAID array. So every now and then you will have to take the array down, perform a low level format, then reinstall. Also benchmarks show that the latest Revo drive only shines when the que depth goes over 1, rare for like 99% of users out there. With Sata3 and single SSD's able to hit 500 MB/s, IMO a single SSD will be more reliable for the long run.
m
l
!