PCI vs. SATA SSDs?

Solution
Devices like the OCZ Z-drive which go into the pci-e slots are essentially tuned hardware raid controllers with SSD's attached. The manufacturers use the pci-e slot. (in the case of the Z-drive it's a 8x slot) to overcome the 3 Gb/s limit with the SATA interface. 3 Gb/s is about 300 MB/s where the z Drive does somwhere around 500+ MB/s of data throughput.

sub mesa

Distinguished
Let's get this straight; its PCI-express or 3GIO; not PCI. Those two interfaces couldn't be different from eachother; they are the exacty opposite in numbers of ways.

Ive seen cheaper ones posted in these forums too, with PCIe x1 link. The wait is for good third-party SSD controllers, so we can use PCI-express as interface instead of SATA for our SSDs. It would make sense to do it via PCIe, especially if you're breaking the 1GB/s boundary which is great for marketing.

Devices like the OCZ Z-drive which go into the pci-e slots are essentially tuned hardware raid controllers with SSD's attached. The manufacturers use the pci-e slot. (in the case of the Z-drive it's a 8x slot) to overcome the 3 Gb/s limit with the SATA interface. 3 Gb/s is about 300 MB/s where the z Drive does somwhere around 500+ MB/s of data throughput.

Solution

Radi8r

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011

My question is, are there any configuration issues inherent with using PCIe SSD's as boot drives and is there anything to be gained by doing this? I have a friend that reads catalogs and then throws these types of configurations at me and honestly I don't see any gains.

As of right now there is no TRIM support for SSD's in a RAID array. So every now and then you will have to take the array down, perform a low level format, then reinstall. Also benchmarks show that the latest Revo drive only shines when the que depth goes over 1, rare for like 99% of users out there. With Sata3 and single SSD's able to hit 500 MB/s, IMO a single SSD will be more reliable for the long run.