Your question

Do I need to update my BIOS

Last response: in Motherboards
August 31, 2008 3:17:59 PM

running on GA-EP35-DS3L with an Intel E8400

Bios version F4

on Gigabytes website the latest version is F5
1. Support DES Advanced
2. Update CPU microcode(Support Intel Wolfdale/Yorkfield E0-stepping CPU)

since my Processor is a Wolfdale chip set , do I need to update to that version . Or am I ok running what I have atm .. Comp is running rock steady at this time ..

More about : update bios

August 31, 2008 3:53:37 PM

A general rule of thumb is if there's nothing wrong with your comp, it's best just to keep the BIOS where it is. If something goes wrong with a BIOS upgrade it could render your PC useless.

Oh, if you do decide to upgrade your BIOS make sure you have your PC hooked up to a UPS so if the power goes out for some reason it won't ruin your upgrade (and your motherboard).
a c 177 V Motherboard
September 30, 2008 7:00:40 PM

I guess this is a "glass half empty" versus "glass half full" question. My practice has always been to do a BIOS or driver upgrade whenever a non-beta version appears - I figure it may prevent a problem which you just haven't had yet! Remember one time adding an Excel 40,000 line macro upgrade to run a paging system on an industrial workstation/MMI, and having random crashes - after two weeks of pointless struggling, turned out to be, of all things, a known BIOS problem on a system that had been stable for years...
!