KS1000

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Hi,

I have Pentium D with XP SP3 installed.
In the past month after working with the PC for ~20min the mouse stops working and the red light is turned off.
The mouse is USB and I changed USB ports as well as other USB mouse, but is didn't help.
I also replaced the PSU with a higher wattage (650W) but it also didn't help.
Reconnecting to a different USB port causes the mouse to start working for another 20min or so (it also lights the mouse)
I have a USB KBD which is still functioning when the mouse stops working.
Does any one have any ideas? The last thing I can think of is some MB problem...

Thanks

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Have you tried another mouse? If so, may be windows problem. Boot a Live Linux CD and see if still a problem. If OK try windows Repair Install. If still faulty on Linux, it may be motherboard problem.

Mike.

bc4

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
just a guess but uninstall the driver for the mouse and just use the generic usb pointer driver and see what happens.

vegettonox

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
what model mouse is it. there are some mice that have power down functions after a certain amount of non use.

But yeah do what bc suggested only once you uninstall the mouse unplug it immediatly shutdown your comp and power it backup with the mouse plugged in. let windows install it automatically with pnp.

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
I just replaced my MS optical mouse 2 months ago it did the same thing...it's old and dying!
You can try and keep it on life support but, it's at EOL (End of Life).
Just put it out of it's agony and buy a shiny new one..