Unhappy with performance

fugben

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
I know almost nothing about computers except for my computer was 2 years old and needed an upgrade. Today i decided to go to walmart and pick up a graphics card. I told him i had 200 bucks to spend on a graphics card and which would be the best for playing games.

On the shelf was an NVDA Fx 5800 Ultra which he said would play BF2 in the highest settings easily. The artwork looked very appealing and the back of the box assured me with blistering 3d performance.

Ok so i connect the card and install new drivers but the card wont perform well. I can play games like age of empires. I thought great let me install BF2 and have this baby run. I cant even run the game.....

I bought this card just to play BF2 and i cant even play this game.

Can someone help me out

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
Take it back. The 5800ultra must be 5 years old now...

Need some specs on your system to advice you better, processor, ram, operating system, bus type - AGP \PCIe etc etc.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
the geforce FX series debuted in early 2003, and isn't even supported by nvidia anymore. they haven't released new drivers for it in ages. i hope you didn't pay much for it. but either way, return it asap and buy something newer. seeing how you bought that card you have an agp system, so upgrade to an ATi Radeon HD2600pro. that should suit your needs just fine and shouldn't cost you more than $100.

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
Return the video card, you were had because you didn't know better and that gpu is ancient at this point; I mean that is like a 6 year old video card or more, and its not even worth 30$

Next time you should just ask us; and never goto Walmart for computer hardware because the sales people likely have zero clue as to how to best suit your needs.

jamay

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
Haha, I hope this is a joke topic :p

For 200$, just buy a HD 4850...bet card for the money, and you'll be able to max out BF2 without any slow downs.

Wal-mart and shopping for a new video card.....OMG what in the heck were you thinking? You paid $200 for an 5800? Take it back. Take it back. Take it back. Take it back now. That card is over 5 YEARS OLD. If you paid even $49 for it, it would be a rip-off. It's literally a $19.95 card, really. No lie.

You should have came here and asked first.
What are the rest of your PC specs? We will point you to towards the best price/performance to fit your build. I am assuming you must only have an AGP slot? If so something like this would have been a much, much, much way, way, way better choice.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161225

fugben

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
Wow i cant believe the guy at walmart just lied to my face like that. Will go to the store to demand my money back today.

As i said i know nothing about computers except mine is a couple years old. I know its an AGP board with pentium 4.

Im probably better off saving up money and ordering a computer from dell. At least they wont try to cheat me

Malovane

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
They do. I just saw a 5500 PCI on FRY's yesterday for $50, and a $50 mail-in-rebate.

All you had to do was pay shipping. Didn't buy it, as it really wasn't even worth that.

dtq

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2006
hmm 2600 AGP card or if you dont mind wasting some performance potential to get the best you can out of your rig the 3850 AGP.

Really though its time to start reading, building a rig is cheaper and easy enough, even my old man can do it and he's an ageing construction worker :D

Start by pulling apart your own and putting it back together under the watchfull eye of a knowledgable friend.

ridinondub247

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
for $120 dollars you can buy the 8800gts (g92) 512mb which is like the

third best nvidia graphics card. Go on fxvideocards.com and look for it under

NVIDIA. Or if you want ill sell u ma Radeon 9500 for $50 which can run BF2

very easily

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Yes you need to take it back but post the rest of your specs because if lets say you have like a single core Celeron processor, like 512K to 1GB of RAM and an inexpensive HD to back it up...., there isn't a video card in the world that will help your performance there.

fugben

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2008
I returned it but they wouldnt give me my money back instead they gave me a 150 $ rebate that expires in 2 weeks.... This even after speaking to their manager and explaining their employee had lied to my face.

My computer has a p4 2.8 gigz 300 watt power supply 512 k ram and integrated video card.

Its so old i think id be better off buying a new one. Can anyone recommend ready made desktops perhaps with monitor combos (i still have a 15 inch CRT)... If i raid my savings i could have like 1 k $ to spend.

Id like to use this computer for gaming because recently i got fired from my job and would like to forget about it.

Meanwhile ill think what to use my rebate at walmart on.....

ridinondub247

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
you can get a nice quad core computer with a good graphics card for 1k but

it wouldnt come with a monitor, but then again quad core computers are

the best computers out. Do you know about a store called Frys?

Where do u live? jw no homo

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006

Don't put up with that "rebate" ****.

Go back and tell them "the sales person lied to me and I WANT a refund!".
The stores "agent" just flat out defrauded you.
No refund= fraud complaint to the Attorney General for your State!

crusoe74

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007

They abused your naivety and I'd get really nasty with them until they give you your money back.
On a related note, I don't know what it's like in the US but here in the UK buying Gfx cards from retail stores is obscenely expensive - 2 to 3 times the price of internet (e.g My local store is selling Radeon HD2600Pro's for £120 ($235). They even have old 64mb Radeon 7000's for £30 - 7 years after they come out).

Fugben, once you get your money back research some prices on the internet. I think the HD2600Pro I mentioned above would be best for your set-up but you won't pay $235 for it!