Hard drive showing 23gb on 250gb hard drive

raydog

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
Windows xp
hp a1130n medica center pc
wd2500jd hard drive

Bios recognizes it as 250gb. But when I click under computer, my c drive is listed as 13gb and my recovery d drive as 6gb. I've run the SMART test in bios, disc error checking, and the quick test iso from the western digital web site, and every test says the hard drive is ok.

BTW this is after doing a system recovery from the hp disc's that didn't go so well. It was running bout 20hrs and alt-tab-deleted to task manager and ended everything. But everything seemed to be ok and runs fine..I was able to register product...etc.

The only problem's the hard drive showing up so small.

Should I reformat c drive and start the long recovery again? The problem is when i go to format it's saying the size is only 13gb. I wanna format 250gb.

What should I do??? Please help!

raydog

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008
Yes, it's an older computer w/ a socket 939. However, when u rt click on the c drive and click properties it should still show the drive's capacity...which is not 13gb....it should be close to 250gb. Never did the recovery correctly and this is probably why I get the low volume.

Fix: I fixed by formating the d drive (recovery partition). c drive wouldn't let me format it.

Then, I restarted pc w/ recovery cd, did the format process and everything's fine now. c drive shows close to 250gb.