Wireless working fine, LAN cutting out constantly

shro

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Hey guys, here's my problem.

We have two PCs in our house, let's call them PC1 and PC2.

PC1 is a 6-year-old store bought machine running on a wired connection sitting no less than 1meter away from the router.
PC2 is a less than 9 month old self built gaming rig running on a Wireless connection in a different part of the house.

PC2 works perfectly all the time, so no complaints there, however PC1 only works properly when PC2 is not connected to the gateway, the connection on PC1 will cut out every 5-20 mins when it is, can anyone here suggest why this happens and anything I can do to solve it? Thanks.

shro

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
I'd draw it out like this, I suppose.

PC1---(Wired)--- Router - - - (Wireless) - - - PC2
Netgear WNR834M
|
|
Modem
(Whichever one you get from Virgin Media fibre-optic cable connection upto 20MB)

sturm

Splendid
With both computers on, are they getting different IP addresses? You might just do a factory reset on the router and see if that fixes the problem. Sometimes that's quicker than trying to find out exactly what the problem is.

shro

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Both machines are getting their own IP address and I've done several soft(power) and hard(factory) resets on the setup

sturm

Splendid
Have you changed the port its connected to? Changed out the cable?
Do you have a friend that could bring over another computer to see if they have the same problem?

shro

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
I've changed the cable and the port (that was the first thing I thought of myself) and I've tried my spare laptop on wired and wireless connections and my PS3 on wired and wireless connections to the router and neither have the same problem except when wired.

sturm

Splendid
Could be a bad router/switch. It happens. Try another router from a friend or just buy one, if it doesn't fix your problem then return it. These home routers can be a pain sometimes to figure out.