Adobe Premiere doesn't work on 64 Bit OS's? What???

I am building a video editing super computer and trying to get the most performance that I can for editing. Apparently Adobe premiere isn't fully compatible with a 64 Bit system like XP 64 or Vista 64. This is ridiculous because I was going to go with a Vista 64 or XP 64 bit OS to get a good 8 or more GB of RAM. So now does this mean for my big super editing computer i am stuck with 2.75GB max RAM in a 32Bit OS??? This is bull. Anyone, if you have heard differently or can shed some light on this, please let me know. I cant believe Adobe Premiere would limit themselves to only using 2.75GB of RAM limited with a 32 Bit OS.

Heres the thing. The Tech guy at Adobe said, it may run on a 64 Bit system, but even then Premiere's are not meant to be used on a 64 Bit system and you still wouldn't get all of the 64 Bit benefits and features. Its maxed out at a 32 Bit system. Let me know people, before I switch to MAC's and use Final Cut. I have always been a PC guy and always will with games, but MAC is looking good right now for editing.
3 answers Last reply
More about adobe premiere doesn work what
  1. Adobe will work in a 64bit environment, but it won't take more than 3GB of your RAM. Even if adobe won't use the full 8GB, it's not a waste because it will help vista to run smoother.

And if I am not wrong, Final Cut only uses 2,5GB (I might be wrong tho. if someone could confirm it would be nice).
  2. Sony Vegas will run on the 64 bit OS's although it does not take full advantage of it yet either. I know they are working on one and demoed the x64 version at some show last year.
  3. BigBurn said:
    Adobe will work in a 64bit environment, but it won't take more than 3GB of your RAM. Even if adobe won't use the full 8GB, it's not a waste because it will help vista to run smoother.

BigBurn is completely correct; the 64-bit OS's can run 32-bit programs, but the programs can't address more than 2.5-3GB (whatever the number is...) RAM. And I would absolutely go for Vista 64 with 8GM RAM because the Adobe Creative Suite 4 will probably be 64-bit (not to mention Photoshop CS4 will support GPU acceleration!) and because 64-bit is just the way to go :)

Nonetheless, Premiere CS3 works decently on my pitiful single-core 1GB RAM machine for standard definition editing; now if only I could get the Adobe media encoder to work again...
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Adobe Premiere Systems