Asus or Gigabyte!!!!!!!!

vouslavous

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
I can't determine which brand to go with for P45. Can someone post there past experience with either of these 2 companys and what board do you guys suggest. Pairing with E8400 and ATi 4850. Any suggestions for a P45

Asus P5Q Pro - cheapest good P45 with Crossfire. You should get a Crossfire MB even if you think a single card is enough - it increases the resale value of the PC. Besides, next year's games might be crazy enough to work badly even on a HD 4850.

I actually prefer Gigabyte, but they don't have any P45 with Crossfire under $150 AFAIK. If you want something really nice, check out the GA-X48-DS4.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I got the GA-EP45-DS3P for AU$180. For a month and until they released the B7c beta BIOS the board was a sitting duck for overclocking. Ever since, i have updated to the latest BIOS and the system runs like a charm, overclocking and all. My last GA-P35-DS3P started having problems after 8 months of purchase so i RMAed it (within warranty, still waiting for the new motherboard). In general i would rate Gigabyte as 8/10 in terms of performance, price and support. Not perfect, but not bad either. Pretty fast boards with lots of features. My only ASUS board was an old Socket7 a few years ago, which came DOA. So i had to wait for another 1 month to get it replaced. Other than that i cannot comment on the current ASUS line of products.
I owe a DFI (975 chipset) and until i broke it (my fault) it was working like a dog. I agree that DFI is probably better suited for more stable and professional environments (overclocking, industrial, etc). Hence more experienced users should try the DFI option.

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Speaking to the good support comment about Asus, I can tell you that Asus support is poor at best. On an RMA I was sent as a replacement a board with visually bad caps, both leaking and bulged. Needless to say that one went back also.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Sorry, but if you are reffering to my comment, i said that the board i got was DOA, that means Dead On Arrival, hence it didn't work. I never said that their service was good. It was not bad either, something in the middle. I haven't bought anything from ASUS for the last 6 years, so i can not speak about their service or products.

fshaharyar

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
if you want to go with high end P45 then go with Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME cost around $245 on newegg with mid range the GA-EP45-DS3R around $135. but singling out one mb other than gigabyte and asus then i'll go with MSI P45 Neo2-FR it is a class apart with Enourmous amount of options to tweak in BIOS. hitting the sweet spot of $150