Sign in with
Your question

Http://www tomshardware com/forum/244067-32-installing-external-hard-disk-enclos

Last response: in Windows XP
October 23, 2010 7:07:22 PM

Hello,
Currently, I have Win7 Ultimate x64 installed on an internal 64Gig SDD, as my System (boot) drive. (Drive 1)

I would like to install WinXP Pro x64 on an external e-SATA RAID enclosure as my System (boot) drive.

Problem is, I do not have a floppy, and each time I attempt to install XP from the install DVD and press F6 at startup of XP installer, Setup cannot find the installation files for my external enclosure.

How do I get around this without a floppy?

My XP install disk is customized with various utilities and other necessary drive install/recover tools.

If I put the necessary external enclosure installation files in the root folder of the XP install DVD, will Setup see them and install them?

Thanks for help...

Donald L McDaniel
a b \ Driver
October 24, 2010 8:49:54 AM

oldceltichippy said:
Hello,
Currently, I have Win7 Ultimate x64 installed on an internal 64Gig SDD, as my System (boot) drive. (Drive 1)

I would like to install WinXP Pro x64 on an external e-SATA RAID enclosure as my System (boot) drive.

Thanks for help...

Donald L McDaniel

I can't guarantee this will help but check in BIOS to see if there's a setting for USB Legacy Support and make sure it's ticked. That should make USB devices discoverable when Swetup runs and could make the system recognise the drive.
Related resources
a b \ Driver
October 25, 2010 1:44:19 AM

Sure you can install and run Xp from a flash drive.

You must have patience.

go
HERE for instructions.

There is one small change.. You need to format your flash drive to a bootable drive. The link at the site I showed doesn't work.
I have the program to do this at 4Shared.com
HERE.
a b \ Driver
October 25, 2010 1:53:06 AM

You can install XP from a flash drive onto a bootable hard drive. OP wants to install XP on an eSTA drive, which may or may not show up as a suitable drive for installation during the installation process. Never tried it.
a b \ Driver
October 25, 2010 3:39:41 AM

Ummm... you are so right.

In my relaxed state of mind, having recently enjoyed some organic herbal headache remedy's, I seem to have missed the "e"sata portion of the OP's situation. I am uncertain if the method I have directed OP to will work in that situation. However, if he is quite clever, he may see the changes being made to accommodate install/run on USB and make the needed changes for eSATA instead.

Or... I was still thinking of
THIS
a b \ Driver
October 25, 2010 7:05:57 AM

[#0005ff]I still think OldCelticHippy's suggestion of doctoring his install disk may have merit if he slipstreams the drivers into an up-to-date XP SP3 setup and makes sure the BIOS wil allow legacy support.

I hope he comes back and tells us the outcome of this one.
[/#000ff]
November 4, 2010 12:08:59 AM

Sorry for taking so long to revisit this.

Well, I went ahead and purchased an external USB Floppy for $30US.
It won't arrive til this weekend, so I'm still attempting to install XP with an XP install disk with slipstreamed SATA drivers.

Still a problem.

While XP's Setup program boots, and the installation begins OK, when install finishes the graphics portion and reboots, there is an immediate BSOD, (0x00000000...73, 0xSomething, 0xSomething).

Anyway, we'll see how it goes this weekend. I will return with results...

November 4, 2010 12:14:12 AM

BTW, I'm installing the 64-bit version of XP Pro.
Also, my Dell Award BIOS has no setting for legacy support. All hardware recognition is done mostly transparently.s

Using the latest Intel SATA drivers helped considerably (at least I was able to boot into XP Setup, mostly). Too bad I keep getting the same BSOD.

D.
!