Tags:
  • NAS / RAID
  • Computer
  • Hard Drives
  • SSD
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
October 16, 2009 1:11:17 AM

I'm planning to build a computer and i'm wondering if its possible to have 2 7200 RPM hard drives in RAID 0 and then an SSD separate from the RAID array that'll hold my OS and programs that i use a lot

More about : raid ssd

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 16, 2009 7:01:03 AM

Yes, it is. I suggest you install the OS first on the SSD, then build the RAID array with the two hard drives once you've successfully installed the OS.
October 16, 2009 6:53:42 PM

If you are going to go with an ssd and two regular drives, why not put the two drives into raid 1? That way you get the speed of the ssd for the stuff you can afford to lose, and redundancy on your data? That is the set up I would go with.
m
l
Related resources
a c 415 G Storage
October 16, 2009 9:58:01 PM

Two hard drives in RAID 1 is not going to give you anywhere near the random I/O speed of an SSD. An SSD has access times that are about 100X faster than a hard drive, even if you put the hard drives into a RAID set.
m
l
October 18, 2009 8:31:55 PM

sminlal said:
Two hard drives in RAID 1 is not going to give you anywhere near the random I/O speed of an SSD. An SSD has access times that are about 100X faster than a hard drive, even if you put the hard drives into a RAID set.

Dude raid 1 is a mirror...for redundancy not speed, and he got a point, 2 use a strip 4 data makes no seance...I say mirror or none...
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
October 18, 2009 10:05:27 PM

Hey, chedderslam said a RAID 1 set was as fast as an SSD - it's simply not true.
m
l
October 18, 2009 10:14:44 PM

lol please read again mate...
quote: "That way you get the speed of the ssd for the stuff you can afford to lose, and redundancy on your data"
chedderslam was to the point :)  I think you tired mate.
As long as every one here clear on that mirror was not planed for a performance gain.
I can go 2 sleep happy

m
l
a c 415 G Storage
October 19, 2009 12:04:13 AM

Oooookaaaay - I see it now!

You're right, I'm obviously tired... :pt1cable: 
m
l
October 20, 2009 10:30:20 PM

sminlal said:
Oooookaaaay - I see it now!

You're right, I'm obviously tired... :pt1cable: 

I’m building a similar system to SHOZZKING and have been scouring the forums to try to make sense of how to set up my drives. I need lots of power for Photoshop. I’m not a techie. I am thinking of two Intel SSD’s in Raid 0 and then a WD Black for data storage. And then an external backup to cover possible failure, fire, etc. When I install Photoshop is it as simple as telling the dialog box to save in “C” where the OS is? And then when working on a PS file I tell it to save to drive “D”, the WD? Is it that easy? And then for the external auto backup, any suggestions for brands, or configuration? Thanks!
m
l
!