Sign in with
Your question

cod4 runs like crap, everything else fine

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 7, 2008 5:13:55 PM

I've been trying to figure out why my cod4 runs at 30-40 fps when it should be running above 80 according to benchmarks...any ideas?

I just bought a 4850 and every other game runs perfect except cod4. Should I reinstall it? If I reinstall, will I lose my achievements and rank? If anyone finds a fix for this I will be so thankful. I've been trying to play cod4 smoothly for months and can't figure out what is wrong with it.

More about : cod4 runs crap fine

Related resources
July 7, 2008 5:35:14 PM

Back up your COD4 player profile if you reinstall the game. You should be backing it up every few weeks anyways. Just copy the player profile folder and put it on a back up HD or usb drive, whatever you use as a backup. when you need to back it up just drop in the folder.

EDIT: You should be able to play COD4 at all high game settings. CCC setting to.

You may want to turn off Catylist AI and Adaptive Antialiasing.

Turn off Vert sync in game and in CCC.

In CCC, Uncheck 24 bit buffering.

In CCC, check application controlled.

EDIT: Is your psu good. A faulty psu will cause COD4 to lag real bad. I had a bad psu. All my games played great except COD4. Bought new psu, all is good.
July 7, 2008 6:16:38 PM

cpu bound maybe, although i'd think the e6750 should have more than enough for a game like CoD4

Also, if your gpu is overheating (which is possible on the 4800 series if you have poor airflow in your case) - they will throttle down to prevent hardware failure
July 7, 2008 6:29:14 PM

strange, what res are u playing at??

July 7, 2008 6:49:01 PM

ovaltineplease said:
.......Also, if your gpu is overheating (which is possible on the 4800 series if you have poor airflow in your case) - they will throttle down to prevent hardware failure

Good point. Nvidia chipsets run hot anyways. 4850 + 650i may be getting hot. Check overall system heat. Get HWmonitor, everest or something to monitor the temps of you components.
July 7, 2008 6:54:14 PM

to 50bmg: I have the latest drivers and the hotfix. I changed those settings you recommended and I still get bad framerates. I'm going to try reinstalling I guess...
July 7, 2008 6:57:09 PM

My temps in my case reach 36C under load. I believe that is ok right? My gpu gets to 74C and I've read that is normal for the 4850.
July 7, 2008 7:01:27 PM

36 under load is fantastic, check your case externally where your vid card is, you'll be able to tell if you have stagnant hot air right by the vid card if the case is too hot to touch.

Otherwise all i can say is reinstall drivers, and cod. Otherwise you have a really odd problem because at your res it should be no problem at all.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2008 7:38:55 PM

yeah... its probably a driver issue... currently with a e6420 and a 8800 gts 640... at 19x12... I average like 70-100 fps.... w/ 4 AA as well... so there's something wrong
July 7, 2008 8:34:53 PM

I just reinstalled a clean cod4 and when running with the "recommended settings" which puts my game at 1024x768 and the details on high i get 20fps. I'm going to follow the driver sweeper method now to see if that helps.
July 7, 2008 8:44:25 PM

jampack714 said:
1280x1024 since i have a 19" monitor

this is my power supply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i switched in my friends power supply but it was still sucking

Weird...
I've got an OC'd 8800GTS 512 which runs just below your 4850 and I'm getting over 60FPS with AA/AF and max settings at the same resolution. I did have occasional crashes early in the game however. Is there any recent patches for this game?
July 7, 2008 9:03:46 PM

not sure but does the 4850 use 2 pci-e power connectors? make sure both are in correctly.
July 7, 2008 9:31:28 PM

I looked us some specs. They all show 1 6pin pcie plug.

It still could be psu. How many fans, opticals, HDs, usb devices, etc, do you have running? the 4850 requires 450w and a 75w PCIe plug. The psu you listed has 500w and ~30A combined. That may not be enough with a bunch of accessories.

Does anyone know how many amps combined the 4850 requires. My 3870 needs 30A plus. I would bet the 4850 needs more than 30A. That psu may not have enough Amps on the 12V rails.
July 7, 2008 9:42:38 PM

50bmg said:
Does anyone know how many amps combined the 4850 requires. My 3870 needs 30A plus. I would bet the 4850 needs more than 30A. That psu may not have enough Amps on the 12V rails.

If that was the case, why would he have no problems with any other game?
July 7, 2008 10:13:28 PM

Ok...I just got finished reinstalling graphics drivers using the driver cleaner method in safe mode and everything and cod4 still runs like garbage with "recommended settings" on. The only usb's I have connected are mouse, keyboard, and printer. I can run cs:source over 100fps with everything maxed along with BF2 very smoothly and crysis on high. I'm pulling my hair out after spending ~2 hours reinstalling drivers just to see the same epic fail of 20 fps.
July 7, 2008 10:22:51 PM

hmm. maybe you have a game profile in the drivers that sets aa really high? lol
July 8, 2008 2:41:49 AM

have you been messin with the bios? does your bios have options for pci, pcie, ect? make sure it is set for pcie.

do you have another fan laying around? Try adding another fan to blow on either the gpu or nb.

I think COD4 has a lot more texture unit than the source engine. It takes a much bigger hit on gpus. I could be wrong about that. When i had my psu problem i could play Teamfortress 2, but no COD4. Try borrowing a buddy's psu.

put the 4850 in a buddy's pc. If his system has the same problem return the card.
July 19, 2008 10:16:30 PM

This is over ten days old now so I dont know if you solved your problem. Hopefully though this will help someone else out. In COD4 go into the graphics settings and set Dual Card option to yes. It doesn't matter if you only have one card set the option to yes. I had this weird problem where COD4 would stutter like I was lagging. The weird thing was it only happened in the multiplayer game even in the initial menu; singleplayer worked beautifully. Setting that dual card option to yes solved my problem right away. I found this solution online but I forget where so it's not an isolated problem.
!