Sign in with
Your question

Will powerful memory AUTOMATICALLY overclock my computer?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 31, 2009 12:57:31 PM

Hi guys, i'm planning on purchasing a Kingston HyperX DDR-400 1GB for my Dell Dimension 2400. The HyperX range for Kingston memory has very aggressive and powerful timings and settings, timings being 2-3-2-6-1.
I'm unsure whether my Dell 0G1548 motherboard is powerful enough for these settings. Also I do not plan on manually overclocking my computer. So what I was wondering was that if I install this powerful memory in my computer, will it
(a) the memory will run at the published speed/timings by automatically overclocking my Motherboard to achieve these timings.
OR:
(b) the memory will run at a lower speed and less powerful timings because of the motherboard's configurations and settings.

I really don't wish to overclock my PC, also I'm unsure whether there is anything as memory 'automatically overclocking' a computer, since I've heard that overclocking is done manually.

Really would appreciate the help! :) 
a c 197 K Overclocking
a b } Memory
May 31, 2009 9:46:52 PM

a. No.
b. Yes.

If you are not going to overclock, you gain nothing by putting in faster memory.
m
l
a b } Memory
May 31, 2009 11:55:31 PM

In fact, it is very likely that you would be unable to run the memory at rated speed, because Dell boards usually do not allow manual configuration of the memory or processor speed.
m
l
Related resources
June 1, 2009 3:19:22 AM

So with HyperX, there's no point of me purchasing it. I'm not going to buy the system branded memory that Kingston supplies since that's even more expensive. What about valueram. Does any one know whether it is good or not. I plan on playing games like Counter-Strike: Source and Halo, so based on that, will 1gb valueram stop the lagging?
m
l
June 1, 2009 9:30:30 AM

short answer: No

Get corsair PC2-6400C5

Springy timings and very fast

also only £30 for 2GB
m
l
a b } Memory
June 1, 2009 9:31:48 AM

xtream_ocer_intel_nvidia said:
short answer: No

Get corsair PC2-6400C5

Springy timings and very fast

also only £30 for 2GB

Note that the OP is looking at DDR memory, not DDR2.
m
l
June 1, 2009 9:32:00 AM

Short answer: No
Get some Cheap 800MHz Ram, I recommend the ones that I have, It says in My forum tag
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b } Memory
June 1, 2009 1:10:10 PM

Voltage....make sure whatever memory you buy, the voltage matches what you have. Faster memory often needs more voltage than standard speed memory. Your Dell is not going to allow you to adjust the voltage, and if you buy something that runs over stock settings, the memory may not even let your system boot.
Be sure to check that as well.
m
l
June 2, 2009 9:53:28 AM

jitpublisher said:
Voltage....make sure whatever memory you buy, the voltage matches what you have. Faster memory often needs more voltage than standard speed memory. Your Dell is not going to allow you to adjust the voltage, and if you buy something that runs over stock settings, the memory may not even let your system boot.
Be sure to check that as well.

My current memory uses 2.5V according to CPU-Z. The memory i'm looking at says on the datasheet it needs: "2.6V (+/- 0.1V). It should work right, because the voltage range is 2.5V to 2.7V? Even if it actually works on 2.6V, 0.1V isn't going to make any difference, right?
m
l
Anonymous
June 2, 2009 1:14:05 PM

Even if it actually works on 2.6V, 0.1V isn't going to make any difference, right?

Not necessarily, you need to ensure whatever you buy matches the spec exactly when using a dell machine as there are no options for changing any timing or voltage settings in the bios, also dont worry too much about timings as you will not notice that much of a real world difference on the Old dell you are using, quantity over timings will result in a smoother system, also, spend as little as possible as ddr is really old technology now, and as such can be even more expensive than twice speed ddr2.

look around in local classifieds/ebay for second hand and get a bargain.
m
l
!