Problem Remains After Major Components Switched

Scubbahood

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Hi,

For the last month I have experiencing all sorts of problems ever since my new computer setup started to fail. I found out that my 4GB of my RAM (Patriot PC6400 DDR 2 12-2-2 (?)) are dead. I thought removing them would allow my computer to boot. It didn't. So I switched from my ASUS P5K-E mobo to a "GIGABYTE GA-G33M-DS2R LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX" AND a new Q9450 processor to boot! Incredibly, no dice... the fan would move and the system would be powered but the actual monitor (and system itself wouldn't give that lone beep!) still wouldn't turn on. A while ago we switched the monitor over to another setup and it worked perfectly. We even switched videocards and it didn't seem to work.

Most recently, I have switched out my 1000W Antec power supply in favour of a Corsair 750W TX after reading how awesome and reliable it is. Still experiencing the monitor in a powered-down state, the CPU fan moves as expected, but no beeps or anything.

We are now thinking that the RAM might have been bad for both the ASUS P5K-E and the current Gigabyte motherboard. Outside of that, I can only think that the cable is bad....yet the power cable seems to be functioning okay to give the monitor power.

Any ideas? Major thanks in advance!

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
Well the GA-G33M-DS2R does not support 45nm processors without a BIOS update.

Try to boot the current motherboard with an older CPU and see what happens.

Scubbahood

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I believe ASUS P5K-E was the same, but my Q9450 booted okay even if the processor wasn't being properly recognized.

How often is RAM incompatibility an issue?