Laptop died

jasper37mmi

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
Hello,
wife plugged in usb stick upside down (wrong way) and laptop died now wont come on will power up for about 30 secs then switches off please help its an advent 6553
Intel Pentium dual core t4200 2.0 GHz
4096mb 320gb hdd
vista home premium

jasper37mmi

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

you dont know my wife she plugged usb stick in by forcing it in the wrong way i just couldn`t stop her in time laptop died there and then

jasper37mmi

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

yes just conked out like that when i try to switch it on it runs for about 20/30 secs then shuts down and tries again after about five secs

jasper37mmi

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

got it sorted needed to remove cmos battery ( read in another post)for 15 secs replace and reboot all sorted now :bounce: :bounce: :D :D thanks for replies

orangelife2011

Honorable
Mar 8, 2013

hello it is only possible if you broke the plastic tang off inside then you would be crossing connections as pin
one and 4 are 5V and ground. that being true . before you start it look into the slot and then see if the plastic tang is gone . it will be (happened to me before) with a pair of tweezers make sure non of the pins are touching each other or the metal of the plug casing (the square that make the plug hole is ground ) if you find any touching or any thing but air it will be the cause of a problem)once you check all the plugs on the machine and get them straight then put plumbers putty. two part clay like that has a center and outside
in a role . push that into the broken plug hole carefully do not let them short out. once hard in five minutes.
you can restart. if that does not work then some component that is powering up at start is taking too much amperage and shutting the machine off. culprits known are Hard drive , dvd (optical drive). remove the battery if it is not fully charged or plug it in while off until battery is charged up. hope it helps
"orange light computing"

the plastic tang could hav been missing for a while . it took me 2 months to find the culprit.