In Search of the best Mobo for Crossfire 4850's

Kludar

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2006
Hey All,

I am looking at building a new system and I am having trouble deciding on the motherboard. I am on a budget, so I can't go too crazy with parts.

The one thing I am pretty decided on is the video card. I want to get a Radeon 4850 (preferably this one... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102759)

I intend to just get 1 of the 4850's for now, then sometime down the road, I will get another one for some added performance.

One of my friends told me that DDR3 is a joke, and that I should stick with DDR2 for now. Not entirely sure why he said that, but I imagine it will help my budget out if I stick to a DDR2 mobo for now.

So I guess my question is, what is a nice bang for buck mobo that will be able to support x2 4850's and run them both at 16x? I am looking for a DDR2 board unless someone can tell me why I would really want DDR3 support.

My budget for the Mobo+Processor+Video Card+RAM is $600.

Thanks all!

auscanzukus

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
He's right on the money on ddr3. I'm not touching it with a 10-foot pole. 12-foot maybe. :D Price is double, but not performance. If nehalme lives up to or exceeds the hype, i'm picking up me some ddr3.

GA-EP45-DS3R
P5Q PRO