Tri core v Dual Core AMD for Business Apps

Robert Lewis

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Which is better for running multiple apps for intense usage of business applications on a dual monitored desktop PC. The AMD Tri Core Phenom at 2.1 Ghz or the AMD X2 Dual Core 6400 at 3.2 Ghz? We use Word, Excel, Nuance Dragon Naturally Speaking, PaperPort, a proprietory data base, Adobe Acrobat, etc, all running at once.

Dual core. Those apps don't require too much CPU power, and do mostly nothing sitting in the background.

Unless you need to do video encoding, theres no reason for office desktops to get a tri/quad core (barring cheap prices, of course)

sailer

Splendid
I personally wouldn't bother with a Tri-core. The dual cores will be faster in most things, and if you're really into intensive office work, a quad core would be better to use.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Heh... OP asks between the 2 CPU's, so I give him benchmarks to look at.

So benchmarks have no indication of what's better anymore? :cry:

Edit:

and I thought it was a fair comparison... 2.5ghz/5000+ vs 2.4ghz/8750 [:kentuckyranger:3]

sailer

Splendid
Benchmarks have their place. I was just giving a personal opinion. Yes, the benches show the tri-core faster then the dual core in some tests, but if I needed that much power, I'd still step up to the quad core.

Also note that the OP compared a 2.1ghz tri-core to a 3.2ghz dual core, not a 2.4ghz tri-core to a 2.5ghz dual core. Those CPU speeds would make a difference in the benches.

It would still be slower than the Athlon X2 in most things due to the clock speed difference (think about the always continuing Q6600 vs E8400 argument, but with an even bigger difference in clock speeds)