Best 65+ in HDTV???

Last response: in Home Theatre
September 14, 2005 7:17:38 PM

I know this has been asked to death, but I'll go ahead with this
anyways...

I'm looking to purchase a big screen HDTV within the next month or two.
Here is what I'm looking for:

Size: 65+ in
Price: <= $6000
HDTV: HDTV Tuner built in

Majority of the time (~90%) will be spent on watching TV
(Cable/Satellite TV/DVDs etc.); therefore, picture quality is very
important. ~10% of the time will be used for video games (Xbox/PST
etc.). I would also like to be able to connect it to my PC although
it's not critical to do so. Overall, I'm looking to get the most for
my money.

Currently, I'm looking at a rear projection LCD models with DLP chipset
(although I'm not set on it). Could you please suggest specific
models that would fit in to this category along with their Pros/Cons?

Thank you in advance...

More about : hdtv

Anonymous
September 14, 2005 10:54:07 PM

bmmodi wrote:
> I'm looking to purchase a big screen HDTV within the next month or two.
> Here is what I'm looking for:
>
> Size: 65+ in
> Price: <= $6000
> HDTV: HDTV Tuner built in
[snip]
> Currently, I'm looking at a rear projection LCD models with DLP chipset
> (although I'm not set on it). Could you please suggest specific
> models that would fit in to this category along with their Pros/Cons?

"rear projection LCD models with DLP chipset"? Either that is a typo
or you are confusing the display technologies. DLP is the TI mirror chip
which provides the picture, all RP models that I am aware of use a
single DLP chip and a colorwheel. LCD RP TVs use 3 small LCD screens
with a backlight to create the color picture. Both have their tradeoffs
of contrast, black levels, motion smear, the DLP color wheel, and so on.

Better place to get an answer would be
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=63.

Alan F
Anonymous
September 14, 2005 11:24:20 PM

I apologize for the confusion...I meant to write:

I'm looking at a rear projection LCD models or rear projection tvs with
DLP chipset
September 14, 2005 11:35:44 PM

I've done some of the research already as far as finding TVs that meet
the minimum criteria (mostly using sites like CNET
(http://reviews.cnet.com/4566-6475_7-0.html?tag=dir.new), Circuit City,
etc... I was hoping to see if anyone had some personal experience with
them (either because they bought it or are in the business of selling
them) and what they thought of it. What they liked about it, what they
don't like about it, and may be even why they chose one model over the
other.

Please keep on submitting the responses. More information is better
than none...

Than you once again !!!
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 12:35:51 AM

bmmodi wrote:
> I know this has been asked to death, but I'll go ahead with this
> anyways...
>
> I'm looking to purchase a big screen HDTV within the next month or two.
> Here is what I'm looking for:
>
> Size: 65+ in
> Price: <= $6000
> HDTV: HDTV Tuner built in
>
> Majority of the time (~90%) will be spent on watching TV
> (Cable/Satellite TV/DVDs etc.); therefore, picture quality is very
> important. ~10% of the time will be used for video games (Xbox/PST
> etc.). I would also like to be able to connect it to my PC although
> it's not critical to do so. Overall, I'm looking to get the most for
> my money.
>
> Currently, I'm looking at a rear projection LCD models with DLP chipset
> (although I'm not set on it). Could you please suggest specific
> models that would fit in to this category along with their Pros/Cons?
>
> Thank you in advance...

I haven't seen them yet, but the new Toshiba DLPs with 72" diagonal
displays (72hm195, 72mx195) are well under your price target and are
immune to uneven phosphor burn. They are 1080p displays. They are
beginning to become available. Take a look and report back.

I have seen the 62" 62hm15. I was not impressed. I didn't have a lot of
time to try to tweak it with the remote, but the image was very
posterized. I suspect it could be greatly improved, but I haven't seen
it set up correctly yet.

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 1:48:25 AM

bmmodi (bhavik.modi@cdw.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> I'm looking to purchase a big screen HDTV within the next month or two.
> Here is what I'm looking for:
>
> Size: 65+ in
> Price: <= $6000
> HDTV: HDTV Tuner built in

In addition to CRT RPTVs, take a look at the Sony KDS-R60XBR1 LCoS display
($5,000 MSRP):

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/...
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-sJUiJU64mSI/cgi-bin/ProdVi...

--
Jeff Rife |
| (insert funny signature here)
Anonymous
September 15, 2005 3:56:44 AM

bmmodi wrote:
> I know this has been asked to death, but I'll go ahead with this
> anyways...
>
> I'm looking to purchase a big screen HDTV within the next month or two.
> Here is what I'm looking for:
>
> Size: 65+ in
> Price: <= $6000
> HDTV: HDTV Tuner built in
>
> Majority of the time (~90%) will be spent on watching TV
> (Cable/Satellite TV/DVDs etc.); therefore, picture quality is very
> important. ~10% of the time will be used for video games (Xbox/PST
> etc.). I would also like to be able to connect it to my PC although
> it's not critical to do so. Overall, I'm looking to get the most for
> my money.
>
> Currently, I'm looking at a rear projection LCD models with DLP chipset
> (although I'm not set on it). Could you please suggest specific
> models that would fit in to this category along with their Pros/Cons?
>
> Thank you in advance...

Hi,
LCD models with DLP chipset? Could you elaborate on it?
Tony
September 15, 2005 2:14:50 PM

Too much information is worse than none at all.

> Please keep on submitting the responses. More information is better
> than none...
>
> Than you once again !!!

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 3:19:54 PM

After some research I've narrowed the list down to the following
models:

Samsung HL-R6768W
Samsung HL-R7178W (Not out yet - just a bigger version of the one
above)
Mitsubishi WD-73727
Sony Grand WEGA KDF-70XBR950
Hitachi 70VS810
HP MD6580N (thanx to Mike T)

I've got the specs on each of them. Does anyone own/sell one of these
models? If so, what do you think of the picture quality, features,
versitility (connectivity), features, etc. Any pros/cons? Basically,
which one of these would you pick and why?
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 8:55:55 PM

"bmmodi" <bhavik.modi@cdw.com> wrote in message
> I know this has been asked to death, but I'll go ahead with this
> anyways...
>
> I'm looking to purchase a big screen HDTV within the next month or two.
> Here is what I'm looking for:
>
> Size: 65+ in
> Price: <= $6000
> HDTV: HDTV Tuner built in
>
> Majority of the time (~90%) will be spent on watching TV
> (Cable/Satellite TV/DVDs etc.); therefore, picture quality is very
> important. ~10% of the time will be used for video games (Xbox/PST
> etc.). I would also like to be able to connect it to my PC although
> it's not critical to do so. Overall, I'm looking to get the most for
> my money.
>
> Currently, I'm looking at a rear projection LCD models with DLP chipset
> (although I'm not set on it). Could you please suggest specific
> models that would fit in to this category along with their Pros/Cons?
>
> Thank you in advance...

Sound and Vision Magazine for October has a review for a 65 inch 1080P DLP
rear projection HDTV from Hewlett-Packard model MD6580n. List price is
$5500, so you might want to check it out.

Mike T
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 11:37:59 PM

bmmodi wrote:
> After some research I've narrowed the list down to the following
> models:
>
> Samsung HL-R6768W
> Samsung HL-R7178W (Not out yet - just a bigger version of the one
> above)
> Mitsubishi WD-73727
> Sony Grand WEGA KDF-70XBR950
> Hitachi 70VS810
> HP MD6580N (thanx to Mike T)
>
> I've got the specs on each of them. Does anyone own/sell one of these
> models? If so, what do you think of the picture quality, features,
> versitility (connectivity), features, etc. Any pros/cons? Basically,
> which one of these would you pick and why?

Could you say why you don't have the Toshiba 1080p DLPs on your short
list? As I said I haven't seen them yet. Have you? If so, what put you
off them?

Matthew

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game
September 19, 2005 3:41:18 PM

On 16 Sep 2005 11:19:54 -0700, "bmmodi" <bhavik.modi@cdw.com> wrote:

>which one of these would you pick and why?

The one that looks best to my eyes.

Seriously, you can read specs all day, but you have to go look at the
TV. Maybe you're one of the people who see rainbows or get eye strain
from DLP sets which would rule out this technology. Maybe you'll see a
different TV that you prefer.

Personally I chose the JVC D-ILA technology and have no regrets. It is
not as good as DLP in terms of contrast in dark scenes, but overall I
believe it has a smoother, silker picture than DLP. Plus it was the
most bang for the buck at the time.
!