Actiontec MI424WR and D-Link DI-624

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Good morning/afternoon/evening. This is the situation. I have Verion FIOS (HD TV and 28MB Internet Pipe) which uses the Actiontec MI424WR Broadband Router for wired and wireless connectivity. What I want to do is turn off the wireless function of the Actiontec Router and use the D-Link wireless router instead for wireless functionality which should be more stable and reliable than the actiontec is from what I've been told by others who have FIOS.

I would like to utilize the wireless and wired ports on the d-link and the wired only ports on the actiontec, simultaniously, as I need more than 4 wired ports available. I've got 4 wired systems to connect to my network and need room to grow. Aside from reading 2 pdf manuals and trying to make my brain mush, I'd like to know from anyone else here that has experience in configuring a setup such as this. Here are some things to consider:

1) The actiontec router is required for the verizon fios service (tv and wired internet) to function so it can't be replaced.
2) The default ip range of the actiontec is 192.168.1.x
3) The default ip range of the d-link is 192.168.0.x
4) The verizon fios router is dhcp by default, but I have it setup for both dhcp (for the 2 set-top-boxes and dvr) and static (4 wired desktops, 1 wireless desktop and 1 wireless laptop), as that eliminates ip conflicts that I used to get when it was a 100% dhcp setup.
5) I am currently using mac address filtering and 128-bit wep encryption.
6) The firewall settings are set to medium on the actiontec and there are a few specific ports I've had opened for certain applications including a ftp server, remote desktop connectivity and mirc (dcc/ssl/etc).

I considered getting a new wireless g router but located the di-624 wireless g router which is also a verizon model, in my office closet from before I got the fios tv service. This will save me some bucks, as long as it works the way i'd like it to. Thanks in advance for any input!

-- MaSoP

lyleb

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
On the D-Link you need to:

Disable NAT and or firewall.
Turn off DHCP server.
Set it to a static IP address in the 192.168.1.xxx >> example 192.168.1.200

Attach it to the actiontec with a cable and you should be good to go.

TRENDING THREADS