zulu

Hi all :)
I am severely partially sighted and find the small pixellated font used in
(for example) System Properties <Windows key + pause/break> unreadable, even
with an on screen magnifier.
How can I change it please?
--
¦ zulu ¦
Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT @ 800 x 600

Configuring Windows for people who are blind or have impaired vision
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/access_vision_cc.mspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"zulu" wrote:

| Hi all :)
| I am severely partially sighted and find the small pixellated font used in
| (for example) System Properties <Windows key + pause/break> unreadable, even
| with an on screen magnifier.
| How can I change it please?
| --
| ¦ zulu ¦
| Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT @ 800 x 600

Have you looked at .........
..right click an empty spot on the
desktop.........properties.......appearance........advanced......???
or
start/all programs/accessories/accesability..........???

peterk

"zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Hi all :)
> I am severely partially sighted and find the small pixellated font used in
> (for example) System Properties <Windows key + pause/break> unreadable,
> even with an on screen magnifier.
> How can I change it please?
> --
> ¦ zulu ¦
> Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT @ 800 x 600

zulu

Oh yes, TYVM
I've looked, (as well as I _can_) until my head spins.
It's direct answers I need, not cryptic clues...
Try reading through a dozzen thicknesses of scrunched up polythene bags to
get some idea of the problem.

:-(((

--
¦ zulu ¦
Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT 1024x768

"peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
> Have you looked at .........
> .right click an empty spot on the
> desktop.........properties.......appearance........advanced......???
> or
> start/all programs/accessories/accesability..........???
>
> peterk
>
> --
> Never trust a computer you can't throw out the window. - Steve Wozniak
> "zulu" <nothere@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>> Hi all :)
>> I am severely partially sighted and find the small pixellated font used
>> in (for example) System Properties <Windows key + pause/break>
>> unreadable, even with an on screen magnifier.
>> How can I change it please?
>> --
>> ¦ zulu ¦
>> Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT @ 800 x 600

Malke

zulu wrote:

> Oh yes, TYVM
> I've looked, (as well as I _can_) until my head spins.
> It's direct answers I need, not cryptic clues...
> Try reading through a dozzen thicknesses of scrunched up polythene
> bags to get some idea of the problem.
>
> :-(((

Have a friend come over and help you set the font to where you can see
it. This will be the easiest and most efficient way.

Good luck,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

zulu

Sorry, but I _REALLY_ (for now) need to know how to change that <deleted>
useless font...PLEASE

TIA

> Configuring Windows for people who are blind or have impaired vision
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/access_vision_cc.mspx
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "zulu" wrote:
>
> | Hi all :)
> | I am severely partially sighted and find the small pixellated font used
> in
> | (for example) System Properties <Windows key + pause/break> unreadable,
> even
> | with an on screen magnifier.
> | How can I change it please?
> | --
> | ¦ zulu ¦
> | Dell Dimension XPS-T700r, 512 MB RAM, XP Pro. SP2, 21" CRT @ 800 x 600

zulu

fx<bangs head on desk> :)

If I had one who _could_, I would!

PLEASE just TELL ME HOW!!!
i.e. the route, such as (for ex) Deskop > Properties etc. or whatever.

TYVM

--
¦ zulu ¦

> zulu wrote:
>
>> Oh yes, TYVM
>> I've looked, (as well as I _can_) until my head spins.
>> It's direct answers I need, not cryptic clues...
>> Try reading through a dozzen thicknesses of scrunched up polythene
>> bags to get some idea of the problem.
>>
>> :-(((
>>
> Have a friend come over and help you set the font to where you can see
> it. This will be the easiest and most efficient way.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

zulu wrote:

> fx<bangs head on desk> :)
>
> If I had one who _could_, I would!
>
> PLEASE just TELL ME HOW!!!
> i.e. the route, such as (for ex) Deskop > Properties etc. or whatever.
>
> TYVM

Go to the link that Carey Frisch gave you. It leads to a Microsoft
article entitled, "Configuring Windows for people who are blind or have
impaired vision" and has the step-by-step instructions you want along
with lots of good suggestions, far too numerous for a newsgroup post.

Here is the link again for your convenience, shortened by TinyURL:

http://tinyurl.com/967yj

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

zulu

I already went there (TY Caeey)
However I really CANT search through a haystack for the one nugget of gold I
desperately need/ :-((

for example, I had to do an XP update this morning. I couldn;t read it at
all.
(BTW, I HATE Narrator with a passion...)
_All_ I want to do (for now) is ro ale it readable with a magnifier. All O
det ATM is a mess of pixels.
I can't read ANYTHING of any length now.
Why do you all make it so <deleted> difficult?
I repeat, PLEASE just TELL ME HOW!!!

> zulu wrote:
>
>> fx<bangs head on desk> :)
>>
>> If I had one who _could_, I would!
>>
>> PLEASE just TELL ME HOW!!!
>> i.e. the route, such as (for ex) Deskop > Properties etc. or whatever.
>>
>> TYVM
>>
> Go to the link that Carey Frisch gave you. It leads to a Microsoft
> article entitled, "Configuring Windows for people who are blind or have
> impaired vision" and has the step-by-step instructions you want along
> with lots of good suggestions, far too numerous for a newsgroup post.
>
> Here is the link again for your convenience, shortened by TinyURL:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/967yj
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

zulu wrote:

> I already went there (TY Caeey)
> However I really CANT search through a haystack for the one nugget of
> gold I desperately need/ :-((
>
> for example, I had to do an XP update this morning. I couldn;t read it
> at all.
> (BTW, I HATE Narrator with a passion...)
> _All_ I want to do (for now) is ro ale it readable with a magnifier.
> All O det ATM is a mess of pixels.
> I can't read ANYTHING of any length now.
> Why do you all make it so <deleted> difficult?
> I repeat, PLEASE just TELL ME HOW!!!

Now I'm getting really angry. We don't make it difficult. You've been
given the link to the *exact* steps you need twice. This is not paid
tech support. This is not Microsoft tech support. I'm not going to the
website and copying everything that is there - which *includes* how to
use Magnifier - because for whatever reason you won't go to the
Microsoft website which is set up *specifically* to help people like
you. You keep asking for exact steps and we keep giving you the place
where you can *find* the exact steps. There is no "search for a needle
in a haystack" involved - the exact steps to help you are right on that
webpage.

If you are able to continually post back to this newsgroup, why are you
unable to go to the website with the instructions and follow them? If I
copy the instructions from the website and paste them into a reply to
you, they aren't going to be any different.

I'm done.

Malke
--

> zulu wrote:
>
>> I already went there (TY Caeey)
>> However I really CANT search through a haystack for the one nugget of
>> gold I desperately need/ :-((
>>
>> for example, I had to do an XP update this morning. I couldn;t read it
>> at all.
>> (BTW, I HATE Narrator with a passion...)
>> _All_ I want to do (for now) is ro ale it readable with a magnifier.
>> All O det ATM is a mess of pixels.
>> I can't read ANYTHING of any length now.
>> Why do you all make it so <deleted> difficult?
>> I repeat, PLEASE just TELL ME HOW!!!
>>

> Now I'm getting really angry. We don't make it difficult. You've been
> given the link to the *exact* steps you need twice. This is not paid
> tech support. This is not Microsoft tech support. I'm not going to the
> website and copying everything that is there - which *includes* how to
> use Magnifier - because for whatever reason you won't go to the
> Microsoft website which is set up *specifically* to help people like
> you. You keep asking for exact steps and we keep giving you the place
> where you can *find* the exact steps. There is no "search for a needle
> in a haystack" involved - the exact steps to help you are right on that
> webpage.
>
> If you are able to continually post back to this newsgroup, why are you
> unable to go to the website with the instructions and follow them? If I
> copy the instructions from the website and paste them into a reply to
> you, they aren't going to be any different.
>
> I'm done.
>

> Malke

Malke, Just for the record, I am getting f¬¬¬¬¬g angry too.
Also just for the record I have to read Web sites using Firefox winch can go
to BIG size font, unlike the (useless to me) 5 sizes available in I.E.
Firefox also lets me remove the page styling, which also helps, but it's
still darned hard.
I am luck that I can (just jabot!) touch type, andI compose my replies here
using Textpad, set to font size 48.
Also just for the record I am technically blind in one eye (1/60) and
severely sight impaired (3/60)in the other. I hope you never get to try it
for yourself, although just one day of it would seriously change your
arrogant attitude for ever.
You disgust me

*plonk*

--
¦ zulu ¦

Ok so go to that link using Firefox, enlarge the font to whatever size you
need to see it, and follow through the instructions given. They are step by
step...and pretty easy to follow.

> "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message
>> zulu wrote:
>>
>>> I already went there (TY Caeey)
>>> However I really CANT search through a haystack for the one nugget of
>>> gold I desperately need/ :-((
>>>
>>> for example, I had to do an XP update this morning. I couldn;t read it
>>> at all.
>>> (BTW, I HATE Narrator with a passion...)
>>> _All_ I want to do (for now) is ro ale it readable with a magnifier.
>>> All O det ATM is a mess of pixels.
>>> I can't read ANYTHING of any length now.
>>> Why do you all make it so <deleted> difficult?
>>> I repeat, PLEASE just TELL ME HOW!!!
>>>

>> Now I'm getting really angry. We don't make it difficult. You've been
>> given the link to the *exact* steps you need twice. This is not paid
>> tech support. This is not Microsoft tech support. I'm not going to the
>> website and copying everything that is there - which *includes* how to
>> use Magnifier - because for whatever reason you won't go to the
>> Microsoft website which is set up *specifically* to help people like
>> you. You keep asking for exact steps and we keep giving you the place
>> where you can *find* the exact steps. There is no "search for a needle
>> in a haystack" involved - the exact steps to help you are right on that
>> webpage.
>>
>> If you are able to continually post back to this newsgroup, why are you
>> unable to go to the website with the instructions and follow them? If I
>> copy the instructions from the website and paste them into a reply to
>> you, they aren't going to be any different.
>>
>> I'm done.
>>

>> Malke
>
> Malke, Just for the record, I am getting f¬¬¬¬¬g angry too.
> Also just for the record I have to read Web sites using Firefox winch can
> go to BIG size font, unlike the (useless to me) 5 sizes available in
> I.E.
> Firefox also lets me remove the page styling, which also helps, but it's
> still darned hard.
> I am luck that I can (just jabot!) touch type, andI compose my replies
> here using Textpad, set to font size 48.
> Also just for the record I am technically blind in one eye (1/60) and
> severely sight impaired (3/60)in the other. I hope you never get to try it
> for yourself, although just one day of it would seriously change your
> arrogant attitude for ever.
> You disgust me
>
> *plonk*
>
> --
> ¦ zulu ¦

AND...the would appear MUCH larger than anything anyone can type HERE for
you.

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 19:33:45 +0100, zulu wrote:

> Hi all :)
> I am severely partially sighted and find the small pixellated font used in
> (for example) System Properties <Windows key + pause/break> unreadable, even
> with an on screen magnifier.
> How can I change it please?

In my opinion, you have hit an area of Windows that has not kept pace with
the increasing size of monitors. While most parts of Windows will resize
with adjustments to visual settings, some screens remain immune to change.
Most notably is properties sheets, a handful of control panel items and
some dialog screens.

The bad news is that if you cannot get desirable results by decreasing the
size of the desktop or by using Display> Settings> Advanced> General: DPI
settings Or adjusting fonts sizes using a classic theme in conjunction with
"Items" found in Display> Appearance> Advanced, you're stuck.

The good news is that the MS development folks are aware of these
shortcomings and are working at getting them updated for the next version
of Windows. Doesn't help you now but at least you'll know that effort is
being extended to fix these problems in the future.

I seem to remember working through this problem with you before. And we
always end up here: Nothing to be done for *all* areas of operating system
using just Windows solutions. For what it's worth, because of our
discussions and whenever I get the chance, I remind the "Windows Team" that
this area needs attention. From what I've seen they are listening and
making some progress. Meanwhile....

There may be some third party solutions that I'm not aware of. Through the
years I've searched around for add-on solutions designed for one type of
accessibility or another. The one thing that sticks out is that they all
seem to be a bit on the pricey side. From what I've read, it is sometimes
possible to have these programs paid for or subsidized by organizations
assist the legally blind.

Some pages that have links for assistive software:
http://www.netserv.net.au/doonbank/speech.html
http://www.w3.org/WAI/References/Browsing
--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

zulu

Hi again Sharon,
I am stunned by the fullness uf your reply! :)
I'll try to insert a dew comments into tour text, if I may.

> On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 19:33:45 +0100, zulu wrote:
>
>> Hi all :)
>> I am severely partially sighted and find the small pixellated font used
>> in
>> (for example) System Properties <Windows key + pause/break> unreadable,
>> even
>> with an on screen magnifier.
>> How can I change it please?
>
> In my opinion, you have hit an area of Windows that has not kept pace with
> the increasing size of monitors.

That would certainly contribute to my difficulty in finding a solution then!
(For the record I am using q 21 inchh CRT
set to 800 x 600.)

> While most parts of Windows will resize
> with adjustments to visual settings,

I think I have increased size and changed fonts in most areas here.

> some screens remain immune to change.

Don't they just!
I could send you a list a yard long. :-(

> Most notably is properties sheets, a handful of control panel items and
> some dialog screens.

erc. etc. ....

> The bad news is that if you cannot get desirable results by decreasing the
> size of the desktop or by using Display> Settings> Advanced> General: DPI
> settings

Going high on DPI _and_ increasing font sizes raises more problems than
solutions, unfortunately, such as boxes that won't contain the text etc.

>Or adjusting fonts sizes using a classic theme in conjunction with
> "Items" found in Display> Appearance> Advanced, you're stuck.

I need to recheck the above, I _think_ I have *been thert, done that* but I
have tried so many things now.....! :-((

> The good news is that the MS development folks are aware of these
> shortcomings and are working at getting them updated for the next version
> of Windows.

HOORAY!

> Doesn't help you now but at least you'll know that effort is
> being extended to fix these problems in the future.
>
> I seem to remember working through this problem with you before. And we
> always end up here:

True :eek:)

> Nothing to be done for *all* areas of operating system
> using just Windows solutions. For what it's worth, because of our
> discussions and whenever I get the chance, I remind the "Windows Team"
> that
> this area needs attention.

Oh yes please!!!

> From what I've seen they are listening and
> making some progress.

If I can assist in any way I would be very pleaed to. They certainly need
input from people with similr disabilities to mine to get a true picture of
what is needed. The problems _can't_ be imagined by a mormally sightrd
person, believe me!

> Meanwhile....
>
> There may be some third party solutions that I'm not aware of. Through the
> years I've searched around for add-on solutions designed for one type of
> accessibility or another. The one thing that sticks out is that they all
> seem to be a bit on the pricey side. From what I've read, it is sometimes
> possible to have these programs paid for or subsidized by organizations
> assist the legally blind.

FWIW, I am currently waitng assessment, but I expect that will be the
outcome, as my vision is now down to 3/60 in one eye and 1/60 in the other.
I'm damned if I'll give in _yet_though! <g>

> Some pages that have links for assistive software:
> http://www.netserv.net.au/doonbank/speech.html
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/References/Browsing

I'll investigate, TYVM.

Thanks enormously for your patience and understanding.

Sorry for any typos (and the length!)

--
¦ zulu ¦

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:07:16 +0100, zulu wrote:

>> some screens remain immune to change.
>
> Don't they just!
> I could send you a list a yard long. :-(
> If I can assist in any way I would be very pleaed to. They certainly need
> input from people with similr disabilities to mine to get a true picture of
> what is needed. The problems _can't_ be imagined by a mormally sightrd
> person, believe me!

Please do! I will do my best to get that list to the right people. Remove
DEL and ETE from my address as shown in the newsgroups for a result of:
sharonf@mvps.org

> Thanks enormously for your patience and understanding.
> Sorry for any typos (and the length!)

No need to apologize. Your predicament is shared by many and needs to be
addressed.

Microsoft was one of the first companies to be pro active about
Accessibility standards in computing. While this area always includes
special challenges, I think they did a great job providing this in their
earlier versions of Windows. Other than a few wrinkles when using High
Contrast settings, their tools possessed strong and usable basic features
and provided good underpinnings for third party development for many years.
Now they need to update those nooks and crannies of Windows that have
fallen below their own standards through the years.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

zulu

> On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:07:16 +0100, zulu wrote:
>
>>> some screens remain immune to change.
>>
>> Don't they just!
>> I could send you a list a yard long. :-(
>> If I can assist in any way I would be very pleaed to. They certainly need
>> input from people with similr disabilities to mine to get a true picture
>> of
>> what is needed. The problems _can't_ be imagined by a mormally sightrd
>> person, believe me!
>
> Please do! I will do my best to get that list to the right people. Remove
> DEL and ETE from my address as shown in the newsgroups for a result of:
> sharonf@mvps.org

OK, I will log **difficulties** over the next week or so and be in touch via
an assy you ccan actually reply to (g).

Would it be OK to attach a few screendumps (reduced in size, of course!)?

Thank you :))

--
¦ zulu ¦

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:44:09 +0100, zulu wrote:

> OK, I will log **difficulties** over the next week or so and be in touch via
> an assy you ccan actually reply to (g).
>
> Would it be OK to attach a few screendumps (reduced in size, of course!)?
>
> Thank you :))

Yes, screenshots are fine. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

TRENDING THREADS