Sign in with
Your question

Future proof graphics card.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2008 10:32:14 PM

I mean sure the best graphics card for your money is one thing but the longest lasting graphics card is another thing. Dare I "noobly" as the question, what is the best gaming card for the future? Now im not saying "when will it break". Im addressing the "how long til every game lags" part of the equation.

As for me.. I wish to stay under 300$ .. if that helps.
July 7, 2008 10:38:20 PM

Quote:
I mean sure the best graphics card for your money is one thing but the longest lasting graphics card is another thing. Dare I "noobly" as the question, what is the best gaming card for the future? Now im not saying "when will it break". Im addressing the "how long til every game lags" part of the equation.

As for me.. I wish to stay under 300$ .. if that helps.

It doesn't exist. Graphics technology moves way too fast. That card will be obsolete far sooner than the rest of your system. Still, getting one card and adding a second in crossfire/sli later should give your old card longer useful lifetime.
July 7, 2008 10:41:01 PM

I agree with everything dagger says. If you can spend $300, then the HD 4870 would be the card to go with.
Related resources
July 7, 2008 10:46:34 PM

if you read the best graphics card for the month artical, crossfire 4850's are suppose to contend with 280gtx. yes you cards will fall to the back of the line quickly as far as performance goes, the best thing you can do is buy the best value for money and swap out latter.

still running a pair of 8800gt and very happy with them
July 7, 2008 10:46:35 PM

Here is the answer you seek.

Go back 3 years and find a video card that does want you want "today". Buy it and you are good to go.

Can't find one? Well, thats the way it goes some times.
I play Worms Armageddon and Solider of Fortune 2 (online only) and there are plenty of 3 year old cards that will work great!

I also play COD4, and my 9800GTX works great!
July 7, 2008 10:58:08 PM

just buy high end video card for future proof
July 7, 2008 11:27:53 PM

it's going to be very difficult to buy a "future proof" gpu for under $300, even when new, $300 is a price of a "mid-range" card, which will go obsolete faster. what your looking for is a white elephant, 3 years and under $300, not gonna happen.

but it also depends on what resolution you'll be playing at.
July 7, 2008 11:34:03 PM

there is no such thing as 'future proof' in tech. just the hope that it will be 'adequate' in the future
a b U Graphics card
July 7, 2008 11:38:04 PM

Well, an ATI HD4870 is as future proof as it gets in that price range - the fast memory and DX10.1 should hold it over for quite a while. I would bet you could easily last 3 or 4 years IF you are willing to turn the settings down in the future (heck, my old P4 2.8GHz with an ATI Radeon 9700 Pro ran crysis at 800x600, minimum settings smoothly enough to play just before I gave it away).
July 7, 2008 11:40:30 PM

Best futureproof card I ever had was the Radeon 9800 pro, that thing just played everything for ages.

Now?

The new ati cards look to be the best option, don't get me wrong, I'm no fanboy, I'm running with an 8800GT at the min.
July 7, 2008 11:40:57 PM

If you get 4870 now after 1-1.5 years you have to support it with another 4870
which will extend the lif to 2.5-3 years
but definitely after that there will be games difficult to run
unless another publisher decides to release another crysis sooner :lol: 
July 8, 2008 12:01:53 AM

Yes, to ATI HD4870 (or HD-4850). The GDDR5 memory is still very new. It's less than $300. It has HDMI. There's a support path for MULTIchannel hi-def sound, and will drive HI-def video. A lot of that is still future for a lot of people.

See anandtech reviews re sound and HTPC concepts.

Somebody PLEASE kikk me if I got this wrong - I think this IS all true, however.

There's lots of reviews on performance and some also cover the additional features.

Also for future I would recommend a Xfire mobo - and would further recommend research on latest chipsets such as AMD mobos with 7xx southbridge - there's some new just popping out real soon.

For ethical reasons I can't recommend nvidiot or ntel stuff - that's about their ethics btw - but that's my personal thing. :) 

I am actively researching my next PC, and I also believe in the futureproof concept - lots of reading :)  And don't rush the process - aka "don't push the river".

Peace.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2008 12:15:00 AM

I heard nvidia has better supported drivers. true or untrue?
July 8, 2008 12:17:00 AM

Quote:

True.
July 8, 2008 12:19:11 AM

Quote:

NO, not true
ATI are releasing a new driver every month
July 8, 2008 12:21:26 AM

All he wanted to know a card that would last longer than any other card on the market today.

3 years ago it was 8800gtx/gts. Easily the most future proof video card on the market. With better texturing ability and faster AA performance than it's competitor and equal in terms of shading power.

Currently 280gtx is the fastest card but it cost a pretty penny but 4870 is the card for $300. It has decent bandwidth and faster FP16 blending fillrate throughput than a 280gtx a while more shading power than 280gtx. Easily the best buy right now.
July 8, 2008 12:25:21 AM

- more -
I might add one approach is to buy a very new mobo, and utilize a 6 month old cpu that fits. For me, that's AM2+ mobo with any AMD AM2-cpu (such as amd 4850e cpu) - the plan would be to just putts along with a small rocket w a big vidcard (48xx) (cos it's all about grafx anyway) and eventually upgrade to the next theoretical (what? PhenomII ? ) cpu - (assumes that AM2+ socket will persist).

And then one could also cover one's position via minor swapout /resell /trade /etc to new mobo, cpu, etc as required - rather than spend big bucks for the lastest "bleeding edge of technology" stuff right away. There's a lot of options in this approach; but you gotta know yer sh*t. And that's about research.

So, yes, "futureproff" is about money and protecting one's investment. Knowing how to tweak settings, oclok, etc. is also useful - all the info is available somewhere :) 

A FAT power supply seems like a good idea!
July 8, 2008 12:35:38 AM

Simple solution. Downgrade your res every six months.
July 8, 2008 12:36:30 AM

Nvidia drivers writers in the past have had a very good reputation. But at 300$$ the only futureproof is ATI.
Drivers change all the time until they work better/best/and then some.

Sorry, I forgot you were only asking about grrraaafffxx - but thanks for helping me organize my own position. :)  of a futureproof pc. Looks like the posts are coming faster than I can type.
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 8, 2008 12:54:20 AM

ermmm you guys won me over to the 4870. Now.. as for best manufacturer...
July 8, 2008 1:16:09 AM

bydesign said:
Simple solution. Downgrade your res every six months.

True
this will work also
July 8, 2008 1:36:26 AM

Quote:
ermmm you guys won me over to the 4870. Now.. as for best manufacturer...

Doesn't matter if you get Sapphire or Asus or Gigabyte or whatever. Just pick the one with lower price/better sticker. :-)
!