Problem with 8800gt?

scorpmrat

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Hello everyone.

Right now with my 8800gt, I feel like im getting much worse frames then I should be in the couple of games I play on a regular basis.

My pc is

Athlon 5000x2, 8800gt, 430 watt psu, 2 gigs of ram (not high quality)
This computer was a premade, and I added the card and changed out the psu myself

Right now in World of warcraft, my frames in a raid are around 15-25 depending where I am at, and people with the same card, or similar (9600gt) are getting 40-60 in the same spots, and they only have a slightly better cpu then I do.

Also, in Team fortress two, I am playing with high quality, and a little bit of AA, and it still really dips low from time to time, and it does not seem like there was much, if any improvement from my 8600gt that I had before this.

I updated my drivers again today, and it is still not good.
The only problem otherwise I have had with the card is that I have to manually set the fan speed on high because it runs so hot in my case ( hardly fits inside of it), but is it also a card that seems to run hot regardless since my friend has the same card in a full tower, and it still runs just as hot. Just to give you an idea, it idles at 60c and goes to 75c if the fan is not forced on, and runs cooler when it is on.

Any ideas what the problem could be with this? I would really like to get this card to work, because at this point, it is hardly working any better then the card that it replaced.

You say you updated your drivers. Did you do a full driver cleaning?

Try using a nVidia graphics driver removal utility. (Just be sure that you do not remove any other nVidia drivers you could have for your motherboard)

What is your motherboard chipset? Just wondering if it's not a SIS funky something or other since you said it is a prebuild. The temps you stated are not out of the ordinary for a 8800GT, or really any high end GPU. They do run MUCH hotter than your CPU. 80's are not uncommon under load. You do have a 512 meg GT and not the cheaper 256 meg version? That would explain the slow gameplay with AA and high detail. The 256 meg card will start choke under these conditions.
Also, your PSU delivers enough amps on the 12 volt rails for the 8800GT, correct?

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
you should be enjoying better fps than what you have indicated,are you sure that your psu is what it says it is,also you might consider improving the heat removal from your system,defragged your hdd lately??.....:>)

+1 to dokk2 jitpublisher. 430 is bare minimum i belive for the 8800gt. IF it's a premade pc it may also have a weak 12v rail. Most PC's use standard atx power supplies nowadays so you should be able to go to a store and get a new one.

scorpmrat

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006

Ok I will have to check tomorrow on the amps for the 12 volt rail, this power supply is one that did not come with the prebuild, it was a friends that I am using because I figued it would work fine (maybe?)

It is a 512 card, and I will also check out my motherboard chipset later because I am really tired right now.

The minimum for the card is 350 I think, but I would have to double check. My system is still not fully loaded, 1 optical, 2 hdd and not the most power hungry cpu.

Finally about what was said about drivers, Maybe I should try one more time with the utility you said in case that is the problem.

scorpmrat

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
my chipset "nvidia 6100V"

I could not find how many amps the power supply has, is it listed on the psu itsself? I looked on the box it came in and it does not show it. I can say that I am using an adapter to put in 2 4-pin cables and using that as a connection to the 8800 vs the power supply having its own 6-pin wire.