Machinepro

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Have a WD external USB harddrive that has quit working. The dial lights up and I hear it spinning, but 3 different computers will not recognize it. Any idea how I can retrieve the information on it without using a very expensive service?

Solution
Since no one else has jumped in here, have you tried googling "external drive not recognized"?

I just did an got over 10 pages of hits. Looked at two and they quickly moved into disccussing different conditions that I don't know if they apply to you. So you might give it a try and see if any are on target.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
What hard drive?
Does it have a normal 3.5 hard drive inside that can be removed and installed in a PC?
I am not sure if that would work since I don't know what is stopping it from being recognized. Have to find out if the problem is the HD itself or something else.

Machinepro

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009

It's a completely enclosed drive that connects to the computer w/usb. I would probably need a blow torch to open it. Thanks for replying.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Since no one else has jumped in here, have you tried googling "external drive not recognized"?

I just did an got over 10 pages of hits. Looked at two and they quickly moved into disccussing different conditions that I don't know if they apply to you. So you might give it a try and see if any are on target.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS