Sign in with
Your question

Cheapest way to get a laptop w/ SSD?

Last response: in Storage
October 16, 2009 9:51:41 PM

So my last laptop just got stolen so now I'm in the market to purchase a new one. With SSD's it seems that they increase OS boot time substantially so that is why I am interested in getting one. The only downside it seems is the price and availability of different laptops that use one, so I was just wondering can you upgrade most laptops with an SSD? I was looking and found that the Dell Mini 9 uses a PCIe slot that can be upgraded with a certain type of SSD, but I am in the market for a 12-13'' laptop so I am not really interested in the Mini. And even if I could get like a 16GB SSD just to put the OS I would be fine with having a slower, larger, HDD.

So, does anyone know what the cheapest route would be to get a 12-13'' laptop that I could put an SSD in? I'm mostly comfortable with purchasing another Dell laptop, but if there are other options I'm open to them as well.

Thanks for any and all help!

More about : cheapest laptop ssd

a b G Storage
October 17, 2009 6:34:09 AM

Most laptops only support a single hard drive, so you couldn't get a separate SSD and storage drive. Any laptop that uses a standard 2.5" drive can be upgraded to an SSD though, and it's pretty easy in most cases. Currently, I'd recommend the Intel X25-M, which is available for $235 with 80GB.
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a c 353 G Storage
October 17, 2009 5:55:03 PM

(1) Concur with cjl and Jack
(2) DON'T buy a Laptop with a pre-installed SSD, Almost all (if not all) come with the Samsung controller.
(3) If laptop only has one HDD bay and you feel that the 80 gig (74.x gig) intel (The fastest) is to small, then go for the Patriot Torqx (NOT M28 Model) 128 Gig (really 120 gig) or the OCZ Vortex 120 Gig as the next up intel, 160 Gig (approx 148 gig) is expensive.
(4) look for a laptop with estata port. R & R your internal HDD with a SSD, buy a estata/usb encloserure for a 2 1/2 in HDD and put your laptop HDD in that (it will fit in your shirt Pocket.
(5) You can also augment your SSD with a small expresscard drive - This is what I did.

(6) Alot also depends on your intended usage, ie work related, watching DVDs while on vacation/travel.
m
l
October 18, 2009 9:52:22 AM

Okay thanks for all the help guys, so if I understand it correctly most common laptops on the market come with the controller necessary to run that intel 80gb drive? Also, if I that drive will I have to carry it around as an external drive all the time? And I'll mainly be using this laptop for nothing more than internet usage / maybe some movie watching on trips.

Thanks again for the help

m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 353 G Storage
October 18, 2009 5:05:49 PM

For your usage, a mid range Laptop (approx $500 to $600) would be fine. Replace the internal HDD with the Intel SSD (approx $260->280). NOT Needed if not planning on watching blu-ray, But for an additional $100 you can replace the DVD writer with a Blue-ray reader/DVD writer. NOTE for Blu-ray disk you will need a High def player software.

This is what I did to a Toshiba A305 series laptop. Removed HDD and put it into a esata encloser (You do not need to cary with you on travel), Installed a Patriot Torqx 128 gig SSD, Installed Windows 7 - NO Drivers needed. Removed the DVD writer and installed a Sony BC-5600 Blue ray drive. Note: only reason for the Blu-ray drive is that my son has a hugh collection of Blu-ray DVDs
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 114 G Storage
October 18, 2009 8:08:47 PM

Even for the cheapest laptop at Prostar ($569) ya can add an Intel SSD

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=serial-price...

Of course a 160 GB almost doubles the price of the laptop :) 

80GB Intel Solid State Drive SATA-300 [add $255.00]
160GB Intel Solid State Drive SATA-300 [add $485.00]
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 415 G Storage
October 18, 2009 10:02:22 PM

ghounds07 said:
if I understand it correctly most common laptops on the market come with the controller necessary to run that intel 80gb drive?
Look for a laptop that says it uses a SATA drive - that will be compatible with the Intel SSDs and pretty much other SSD being made today. I'd be very, very surprised if you could find a laptop with a hard drive that isn't SATA.
m
l
October 18, 2009 10:52:53 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Even for the cheapest laptop at Prostar ($569) ya can add an Intel SSD

http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=serial-price...

Of course a 160 GB almost doubles the price of the laptop :) 

80GB Intel Solid State Drive SATA-300 [add $255.00]
160GB Intel Solid State Drive SATA-300 [add $485.00]

Hah thanks for the insight, do you work for prostar or something?

And anyways, I guess I'll just search for any laptop with a SATA drive now and understand that I could just use the SATA drive that comes with the laptop as an external if I need extra storage. And I assume installing the eSATA SSD is not that hard to do on a laptop? I built a few desktops awhile back and have replaced memory on a few laptops, but just wanted to make sure no weird changes have occurred in newer laptops to make it hard.

Thanks again guys
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 415 G Storage
October 19, 2009 12:07:54 AM

ghounds07 said:
And I assume installing the eSATA SSD is not that hard to do on a laptop?
You'll probably have to buy an external enclosure for the drive, and you'll have to make sure that the laptop you buy (and the enclosure) have eSATA ports.
m
l
October 19, 2009 12:48:54 AM

okay, but as per your previous post most laptops on the market today should have an eSATA port?
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 415 G Storage
October 19, 2009 1:49:20 AM

There's a difference between using SATA for the internal drive and having a port on the outside of the laptop to connect an external drive. Pretty much all laptops have an internal SATA connection, but I wouldn't assume they have an external (eSATA) one.
m
l
a b D Laptop
a c 114 G Storage
October 19, 2009 7:31:47 PM

ghounds07 said:
Hah thanks for the insight, do you work for prostar or something?

I just go there 1st since it's about 2/3 the price as any other custom builder.
m
l
!