pat

Expert

I have resurrected a Packard Bell Pentium 4 1.7G from a severe collection of
viruses. (It had been on the www without a firewall or antivirus!)

As the owner is a cute blue eyed brunette, I would like to continue to look
clever.

Most things now seem to be working fine - except ----
When we open a folder of jpgs (almost the only files on the PC now) the
contents are extremely slow to show. Even in List view. In fact, List view
seems just as slow as Thumbnails or Filmstrip. (Maybe the various views
should take the same time, but they are all now SLOW!)
Once the directory opens completely everything seems to be normal again.
Photoshop runs well and a quickly as I would expect. But trying to open a
new file is dreadfully tedious.
I have tried associating the jpg filetype with Photoshop and with ACDSee, no
change.

Any pointers to a solution would be very much appreciated.

TIA

Pat

Video driver?
Do this, slide the acceleration down on your adapter, control panel, display folder,
settings tab, advanced button, troubleshoot tab.
If this helps, go to the manufacturer's web site of your adapter and look around for
an updated video driver.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 23:10:19 +0100, Pat wrote:

> I have resurrected a Packard Bell Pentium 4 1.7G from a severe collection of
> viruses. (It had been on the www without a firewall or antivirus!)
>
> As the owner is a cute blue eyed brunette, I would like to continue to look
> clever.
>
> Most things now seem to be working fine - except ----
> When we open a folder of jpgs (almost the only files on the PC now) the
> contents are extremely slow to show. Even in List view. In fact, List view
> seems just as slow as Thumbnails or Filmstrip. (Maybe the various views
> should take the same time, but they are all now SLOW!)
> Once the directory opens completely everything seems to be normal again.
> Photoshop runs well and a quickly as I would expect. But trying to open a
> new file is dreadfully tedious.
> I have tried associating the jpg filetype with Photoshop and with ACDSee, no
> change.
>
> Any pointers to a solution would be very much appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> Pat

Could try experimenting with the thumbnail cache setting in Folder Options>
View. The first time the folder is opened with this setting enabled, it
will take a while to build the thumbnails file. Subsequent openings update
the file instead of having to build it from scratch.

On the other hand, if she's using other programs to view thumbnails
(Photoshop and ACDSee) then consider disabling Windows thumbnails.

There have been reported issues with Photoshop's context menu handler. Some
folks have reported improved performance when they disable this feature in
Photoshop.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User