Sign in with
Your question

Reformatting Disk drive to NTFS from FAT32

Last response: in Windows XP
October 24, 2010 4:18:25 PM

I am trying to do a clean install of Windows Vista on my daughters computer that is now running Windows XP Poofessional Edition. The first error message told me that my drive could not support the NTFS format. After doing research I have tried converting my C drive from FAT32 using the command prompt. According to what tells me, CONVERT is not an operable command( which is what I am being told to type in along with a bunch of other letters-symbols.
I have to return the external DVD drive I am using in order to do this in a few days. Can someone help me? I have gone as far with this as I can myself......Thanks.
October 24, 2010 7:24:35 PM

juljil2006 said:
I am trying to do a clean install of Windows Vista on my daughters computer that is now running Windows XP Poofessional Edition. The first error message told me that my drive could not support the NTFS format. After doing research I have tried converting my C drive from FAT32 using the command prompt. According to what tells me, CONVERT is not an operable command( which is what I am being told to type in along with a bunch of other letters-symbols.
I have to return the external DVD drive I am using in order to do this in a few days. Can someone help me? I have gone as far with this as I can myself......Thanks.

Convert works in Command Prompt within Windows where it's completely useless since you can't convert a drive you're working on but, as you found out, it doesn't exist in the Command menu outside of Windows. Can you hoik your drive off to another XP computer to do this within the GUI?
m
l
October 24, 2010 7:36:28 PM

I see. I never thought about the fact that I was working on the drive. The other two computers that I have access to have Vista and Windows 7...none with XP. Is that possible to use one of them or does it have to be XP?
m
l
Related resources
October 25, 2010 1:22:17 AM

Quote:
To convert a FAT partition to NTFS, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
2. At the command prompt, type CONVERT driveletter: /FS:NTFS.
3. Convert.exe attempts to convert the partition to NTFS.

While Convert is running, you may receive the following error message:
Convert cannot gain exclusive access to the driveletter:, so it cannot convert it now. Would you like to schedule it to be converted the next time the system restarts (Y/N)?
Quote:
It is not possible to convert the boot partition while the operating system is running. To convert the boot partition, it is always necessary to run the CONVERT command, click Yes in the error message, and then restart the computer. The partition is converted the next time the computer is restarted.

Go HERE to read the whole article from Microsoft.

You can also download an ISO I posted at 4Shared.com (CD ISO), burn to disk, boot with it and it WILL format your drive any way you like.

Get it
HERE
m
l
October 25, 2010 6:59:06 AM

juljil2006 said:
Is that possible to use one of them or does it have to be XP?

[#0005ff]They will do the job - it doesn;t have to be XP.[/#000ff]
m
l
October 28, 2010 9:48:52 AM

juljil2006 said:
I am trying to do a clean install of Windows Vista on my daughters computer that is now running Windows XP Poofessional Edition. The first error message told me that my drive could not support the NTFS format.

Does this mean that you want to completly reinstall the computer and start clean? And you want to remove all old stuff from this computer?

If so, just run the Vista installation wizard and choose to format the drive with NTFS and everything will be "clean" and working.

Doing this conversion could only be recommended if you want to keep all existing data from the old XP installation.

Be aware that a converted NTFS file system works less optimal than a clean installed file system.
m
l
!