saab93

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Hi guys i finally got my hd 4850 and i needed to upgrade my psu. So i took out the Hp power supply that came with the Hp a6152n. When i was taking it out i noticed a 2nd plug thing on the motherboard that was near the back of the pc. The motherboard has a 24 pin connector. So i plug in the 530w Enermax EG565P-VE. It fits perfectly although it did not have that connector. The connector on the original psu had yellow and black wires with a 4pin white tip. The enermax had one with 8pins. So i plugged everything else in and thought i didnt need that plug. The pc turned on, but the screen stayed in sleep mode as i couldnt shake the mouse. So i think this 4pin connector must power the mouse and other things(just a guess). This was my first time changing a psu. All your help will be well appreciate. Thanks.

Edit. i forgot i also have 2more yellow and black ones but they are 6pin and the top part is black. These are for the video card tho. Just putting it out there.

saab93

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Wait i think this 4pin is for the cpu and is it possible to let the other four pin from the 8pin hang off

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
No - you should have a 8 to 4 pin adapter that came with your power supply.
Connect the 8 pin adpater to your power supply 8 pin connector and plug the other end (4 pin) to your mother board.

Mondoman

Splendid
Yes, the other connector is for the CPU. Your 8-pin connector may be designed to split into 2 4-pin connectors; if it fits correctly in your 4-pin socket without shorting on anything nearby, then that should be OK, too.

TRENDING THREADS