Sign in with
Your question

Shipping a PC - Large HSF a Problem?

Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2008 3:10:41 PM

Hey guys,

So I'm going to be shipping out my old PC to a friend soon, but I have a bit of a concern. The HSF on the motherboard is the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. I know it isn't the biggest of HSF's, but it is rather large and I question whether shipping the motherboard with this HSF on is a good idea. I envision it ripping off of the motherboard or CPU during shipping.

Is there something I can do to decrease this risk during shipping? Computer companies that ship pre-built PC's with aftermarket coolers must do something. Or maybe it isn't as big of a problem as I think it will be.

I was considering buying a smaller HSF to put on the processor because he's not really concerned with crazy overclocking. I've also thought about trying to rig something up to brace it.

Taking it off isn't an option, as he has no idea how to put a HSF back on or even put a motherboard into a PC.

Like, is there some sort of better retention bracket I can maybe purchase to secure it better? I do NOT trust the standard retention method.

Suggestions?
June 20, 2008 3:28:42 PM

Quote:
Is there something I can do to decrease this risk during shipping? Computer companies that ship pre-built PC's with aftermarket coolers must do something. Or maybe it isn't as big of a problem as I think it will be.
What you need to get is some Styrofoam amd form it around the HSF brace it from moving. Just remember to tell your friend that the Styroform is there and he has to remove it before starting computer up.

The other option is for you to remove the HSF prior to sending the computer to your friend and have him re-install it once he gets it.
June 20, 2008 4:42:33 PM

+1 for Yoosty
Related resources
June 20, 2008 5:06:49 PM

Yea since he doesn't know how to install a HSF I'm going to have to rig something up.
June 20, 2008 5:18:28 PM

Personal delivery? I wouldn't trust shipping it anyways unless you insure it. To me it wouldn't be worth it.
June 20, 2008 6:21:03 PM

He's in California, I'm in Maine. Too far for a personal delivery :) 

I know it's a risk to ship it, and I plan on insuring it for quite a bit since insurance isn't that expensive, but if these computer companies can ship PC's all the time without a problem I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that I can too with the proper packaging.
!